Monday, November 3, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 11/3/2008, Part 2

On Saturday night, as always, dad and I watched the Tennessee football game. On this night we were joined by two others, my cousin NTC and my mother. The trio had spent the day at Biltmore in Asheville, North Carolina. On their way home, they picked up some burgers from Litton’s and we watched the game together. As you can tell from this photo, my mother was enthralled by the action. I cannot say that I blamed her.

The game marked another Vols’ loss, this time to South Carolina, 27-6. The Gamecocks entered the game with the nation’s fourth ranked defense and Tennessee’s abysmal offense never challenged them. As has been the case all season, an Eric Berry interception was the highlight for the Vols. Sadly, Berry has as many interceptions (6) as Tennessee quarterbacks do touchdown passes (6). Despite the blowout loss, I enjoyed the fellowship with my family. This photo was taken in the midst of conversation with NTC. NTC was greatly amused by Phillip Fulmer's sweater vest, comparing the look to the "Great Pumpkin." Remember, she is not from Tennessee.

Tennessee’s conference record dropped to 1-5 and I am not sure that the team is not getting worse as the season progresses. They are certainly not getting better. This has the potential to be the worst team in Tennessee history and is the worst season of my lifetime. The 1977 team finished 4-7. This year, we have not even competed, having never led in any of the five SEC losses. The team set a new low in the South Carolina game as well. In mid-game the public-address announcer reported that South Carolina held its first ever double-digit lead against Tennessee in an SEC game. They have been in the conference since 1992.

No comments: