Monday, November 3, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 11/3/2008, Part 1

I spent Halloween night at my uncle REN’s house. Halloween had little to do with our meeting. We were celebrating the arrival of my cousin NTC from Jersey City and my father’s birthday. My dad’s birthday was September 14th so we were a little late on that front but we have been more belated than this before. Save for the lone doorbell ring from trick or treaters, we would have hardly known it was Halloween.

NTC, my mother’s first cousin, is well. It is the first time she has been to Tennessee since 2003, though I saw her in my April visit to NYC. She had planned a visit in conjunction with my cousin’s wedding on December 30th but an accident in her taxi en route to the airport canceled the trip. We did watch the wedding video on this night. Do we know how to show guests a good time or what? (Note: Though pictures of people posing with alcohol is one of my biggest pet peeves, this is my cousin NTC jokingly forcing wine into her teetotaling nephew’s mouth.)

NTC’s grandson MG is playing football at Springfield High School in Pennsylvania. The lacrosse star, who will be playing for Drexel University next season, had planned to sit the season out to avoid injuries. He was persuaded by coaches and friends to play during the summer after he rushed for more than 1,200 yards in only five games last season (due to injury). This season, he has been moved to quarterback and has performed admirably though his team’s record is less than stellar.

The evening was spent eating and catching up. My aunt prepared meat, mashed potatoes, green beans, bread, cooked apples and a cake made from a Martha Stewart recipe. My mom contributed an Italian salad. Everything tasted great.

We had ten people attend: myself, my parents, my aunt and uncle, NTC, my cousins HANW and HLN and our dear family friends LRH and SLH. Three karen terriers were also present. HANW’s dog Macy was there as were my aunt's canines Wicket and Teek. Teek is the new addition. The new dog, like their old one, was named after an Ewok from Star Wars as they feel the dogs resemble Ewoks.

Only two of my four cousins could attend as HANJ just moved to Abilene, Texas, and ACN is at school in Amherst, Massachusetts. We were able to see them via iChat. The program allowed us to veiw them in real time via the computer. Technology amazes me. (Note: This is my beautiful cousin HANJ in screen in front of her father REN.)

Here is the usual update/bragging session on my four cousins from oldest to youngest.

  • HANW is about to begin her thirteenth week of pregnancy. She stopped vomiting last week and we hope that trend will persist. Her Halloween shirt reflects her pregnancy.
  • HANJ is well. She showed us pictures from her house, located on a military base in Abilene, Texas. She has lived there for three days. She is trying to find a job. Earlier in the day she had an interview for a position as a diabetes educator. She will know early in the week whether or not she obtained the position. Please keep her future employment in your prayers.
  • ACN was working a shift as an RA at UMass when we called. Her shift was to end at 2 am. Her coworkers were entertained by her southern family. She plays messages from home to amuse them. They had her mother, my aunt JSN, say “crayon”, “pillow” and “drawer” to demonstrate her accent. JSN butchers most words than end in “o”. ACN is doing well and is heavily into ballroom dancing. She has placed in each event she has participated and is even on YouTube. Most importantly, ACN will be home in 25 days.
  • HLN graduates from West High School on May 16th, which will not come a moment to soon for her. Over spring break she auditioned as a dancer for Umass and she may join her sister in Amherst. The instructor described her as “cute”. HLN is also considering Goucher College (in Baltimore), NYU (where our grandfather attended), and Virginia Commonwelalth. One thing is certain, she does not wish to attend UT. She plans on having a double major in dancing and international business. In the meantime, she continues to dance here. I am especially excited that she will provide the entertainment at halftime of a Lady Vols’ basketball game in February. I might even attend a women’s game to see her.

It was a great, albeit lethargic, night with my family.

No comments: