Monday, October 20, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 10/20/2008, Part 2

On Sunday morning, JTH and I visited Bearden United Methodist Church. ALK was performing with the church’s handbell choir (“Rings of the Lord”) during the service. The group played three songs, including the special music “Cadenzato” arranged by Tim Waugh. (Note: ALK is wearing a pink top on the end.)

ALK was great! The conductor Les Beaver apologized that the choir now only plays two octaves due to low membership. Compared to the last cultural event I attended in support of one of JTH’s love interests (the notorious Great Clogging Debacle of 2007), this was a triumph of epic proportions. I was disappointed that ALK did not wear the white gloves throughout the day.

I had a brilliant idea during the service. I never carry cash so I had nothing to place in the offering plate. I wondered how many people were in the same situation. I developed a new offering plate, complete with with credit card swipes! What do you think?

The sermon from “Preacher Mike” (aka Michael Sluder, MGS) was titled “Prayer” using the text Matthew 6:5-15 (The Lord’s Supper). He based his sermon on Richard J. Foster’s 1992 book Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home. He accentuated the three movements of prayer: upward, inward, and outward. The only thing I found odd was that he pronounced “hallowed” with three syllables. Is this a Methodist thing?

I spoke to MGS for awhile after the sermon. His last pastorate was at St. Mark United Methodist Church, ALK’s home church. His children still attend there. He is a graduate of Duke Divinity School where he took a preaching course with Will Willimon (WHM). I talked his head off but really enjoyed him.

I also got to see two former teachers Katherine Stooksbury (KBS) and Pat Orr (IPO), who taught me in third and first grade respectively at Sequoyah Elementary School. KBS had both hips replaced twelve weeks ago but was showing no ill effects. It was great to see both wonderful ladies.

Just to reiterate, the choir’s name is the “Rings of the Lord”.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see and "hear" that people are playing and enjoying things I've written! T Waugh