Monday, October 20, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 10/20/2008, Part 1

I had a relatively light Friday-Saturday. This means I got a lot of work done.

I did spend Friday night with the MoFoS crew. When I arrived JTH and TK were outside talking. They were distancing themselves from CTH, who was in the store with some acquaintances. (In this surveillance photo, CTH is hugging a man, a common sight these days.) CTH’s erratic behavior has alienated him from the rest of the store's staff. In fact, TK deleted him as a friend from the store’s MySpace friends. Likewise, JBT shorts his paycheck up to five hours as he does little work. Which is more harsh?

I must note that my surveillance photos have shown dramatic improvement over the past year. How long will it be before I get beaten down for these improvements?

JTH, TK, and I met JBT at Applebees. JTH requested a children’s menu to color. (I have no explanation.) Every crayon the restaurant has is green. While that is my favorite color, this seemed odd.

We spent the night discussing JBT’s girlfriend’s brother (who lives with him) JB’s vocabulary. He uses the words grimey, live, and wet repeatedly with meanings far from their original intent. We are attempting to develop a jargon of our own. The one thing we are certain of is that something that is horrid will be described as “electric eel”.



On Saturday, I watched the Vol Network’s pay-per-view telecast of the Tennessee football team's 34-3 victory over Mississippi State 34-3. The game pitted the last place team in the SEC East against the worst team in the SEC West. This would probably explain why none of the networks picked the game up. The game was closer than the score indicates. Coach Phillip Fulmer gained his 150th victory in his 200th overall game. Sincere congratulations.

Despite Tennessee's woeful season, defensive back Eric Berry has been amazing. His 72-yard interception return gives him 397 career return yards. This broke a conference record that had stood since 1949. He is only a sophomore.

In more important sports news from Saturday, it was announced that my church league basketball team will play at 6:30 pm on Thursday, October 23rd. At 1-5, we are still the #3 seed and play the second-seeded squad captained by MDR. We hope to see you there.