Monday, March 31, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 3/31/2008

My stomach remained unsettled over the weekend, but I managed to see many of my friends and had a good time.

On Friday night, I visited JTH at MoFoS. When I arrived, I quickly jumped behind the register as there was a line mounting. I did not realize, he had help on this night in the form of L, who I had shot pool with several weeks ago. Unfortunately, she did not remember that as my appearance has radically changed since then. From the look she gave me, I thought I might be pulverized for invading her space. Once we reconnected, the night with smoothly.

I quickly learned that JTH and his girlfriend CDM had broken up. We spent the remainder of his shift trying to analyze the events of the day. The reason for the split - his text messages had the tone of a mere friend and not a boyfriend. She was serious despite this being the most ridiculous reasons I have ever heard for a split.

The Christian in me acknowledges that her co-dependent personality could not handle the distance between the two and that her tumultuous past contributed to her doing everything she could to sabotage her own relationship. The friend in me thinks of her more by the KLTW term "bats@$% crazy," usually reserved for the likes of Tom Cruise.

My own prejudice against her alarmed me. Still, I must advocate (to anyone who will listen) - do not date girls who are on the rebound from a significant relationship, have cronic superfluous meltdowns, children, painful addictions, no obvious religious inclinations, no financial stability, and who run the register at McDonald’s!

JTH is fine but asks that you keep CDM and her lovely daughter in your prayers.

I left early and tried to eat for the first time all day - at Applebees. You know my stomach is being uncooperative when I cannot finish a meal there.



I spent Saturday afternoon at “The Estate.” I think it is like Stephen King’s “Rose Red”in that it keeps adding rooms. Each time I have come, the house is so big that the doorbell cannot be heard forcing me to use my cell phone to alert of my presence!

I did get to name part of the estate - “The Grotto.” I have always wanted to know someone who owned a grotto. On this morning, two mallards camped in their pool. SMA’s mom calls them Fred and Ethel (from "I Love Lucy") because mallard mate for life. She likes them, but not in the pool.

We spent a lot of time playing on the Gametime system. It is addictive. The old system was replaced and with it all of the high scores. SMA needed to usurp his mother atop the Castle Bandits leaderboard. This is took some doing but was eventually ccomplished.

After he regained his touch screen supremacy, we watched No Country For Old Men in the theater. There is even an old style working popcorn machine in the room. My review of the movie is posted under “A Veiled Tell: Nil Soli.”

On Satuday night, for the first time in three days, I was able to finish a meal, on this night at the Silver Spoon Cafe with my parents.

Happy birthday to KSW, whose birthday was on Saturday.



My Sunday began early with a wake up call from JTH at 2:39 am. I am not sure he realized how late it was when he called. In any event, I could not get back to sleep.

Seven hours after waking up, I taught Sunday School at RAW’s. WAM was especially entertaining and his input has been posted under the “WAM Quote of the Day.”

Before beginning we learned a very valuable life lesson from KJW. She desperately wanted to drink juice while relaxing on the couch. She is permitted to do either, but not both at the same time. She tried to do it and then indecisively rotated from couch to floor while trying to negotiate doing both. What is the thrill of juice on the couch? It is forbidden!

Mark Twain (1835-1910) wrote: "It was not that Adam ate the apple for the apple's sake, but because it was forbidden. It would have been better for us--oh infinitely better for us--if the serpent had been forbidden." (Mark Twain's Notebook)

JTH and I then met for lunch. I decided to eat at Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant in Pigeon Forge. I made that decision half way en route. I figured since I had driven that far, why not go? Besides, Apple Fritters™ (and for some reason on the menu, they are trademarked) are a cure for all that ails.

We spent a good portion of the meal trying to sneak a photo of our waiter. (I did not realize how awful that sounded until I typed it.) JTH made the obscure reference that he looked like a Caucasian version of B.D. Wong, an actor most known as the psychologist George Huang on “Law and Order: SVU.” This is the best I could do. Yes, I realize this photo helps very little.

We left with my stomaching ailing again - this time for the noble cause of overeating. Noticing exiting traffic on the way out as we entered Pigeon Forge, I decided to see if I could find an alternate route home. In short, this was unsuccessful. After scavenging back roads for some time, we had the GPS direct us home. My exploration amounted to us adding thirty miles to the trip and leaving the way we would have anyway. Oh and the traffic that we were avoiding was nonexistent by that point as well.

We made it home in time for a brief stop at McKay’s (I actually bought nothing) to see PAT. It was then off to The Estate. In conjunction with a wrestling pay-per-view, we had a welcome back DBN party. In attendance were MJB, BG, JM, CST, Couple Y, K and naturally DBN. I must note that I also brought a pack of Necco Wafers as always in tribute to MHD.

By the way, DBN is still married, we just have limited contact with the wife.

The food was awesome. SMA’s mother bought a platter of cookies from Ham N Goodys. The function felt like reserving an arcade for a birthday party as a child, only at residence. It really felt that way when we were levied with a $20 cover charge.

When we arrived, we played on the GameTime system while watching the NCAA Tournament. CST’s hair (as you can sort of tell from this picture, sort of) is at its longest ever. It is worth noting that SMA’s mom regained her top-spot on the Castle Bandits game during the previous night. I now know where he gets his competitiveness from.

We then watched the WWE’s presentation of WrestleMania XXIV (24 for Roman numeral illiterates.) We were a little worried as the associate who handled our order assured us that we would be receiving the show on channel 448. This would have been reassuring had that channel actually existed.

Though some of us (myself included) do not follow wrestling's current product closelyl, we still meet annually to watch the biggest wrestling event of the year. It traditionally has been a good time to get together. On this night, there were several conspicuous by their absences. JTH, you were referenced often in conjunction with Batista.

The show was not especially good, with three very predictable matches. Going in, the educated viewer knew that Ric Flair would be losing a retirement match, the Undertaker would win the world title (he is now 16-0 at the event) and that the boxer Floyd Mayweather would be victorious (celebrities do not agree to lose). Flair’s match was emotional and should have been last with the locker room emptying to acknowledge him. Instead, the show came off flat and calculable.

In other big (and probably more interesting) wrestling news, Hulk Hogan is now endorsing Fantasy Fishing. I have no idea what the connection between the two is. In fact, I do not know what is it. What I do know is that with a divorce settlement and a lawsuit over his son’s reckless automobile accident pending, we will probably be seeing the Hulkster hocking a lot of stuff.

As all of these other activities were going on, a new rivalry was born. You may remember 1992's Reebok campaign “Dan vs. Dave.” There was a new match up of the same name as DBN played over five hours of shuffleboard on this night, mostly with SMA’s father DA. Yes, shuffleboard.

Unlike Dan vs. Dave 1, this rivalry lived up to the hype. After a 15-7 DA win, an epic 18-16 DA victory followed. DBN was not finished though. DBN played SMA’s mother afterwards. I am still amazed that the poker table and pool table went unused, while the shuffleboard table got all the action. Welcome home, DBN!

As an aside, DBN and I have decided that our standard greeting will be the Easter mantra, “He is risen”with the response, “He is risen indeed.” Why use this just on Easter?

No comments: