Monday, February 9, 2009

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 2/9/2009, Part 2

News & Notes from Sunday, February 8th, 2009

-On Sunday morning, I attended the Soul Purpose Sunday School class at 11 AM at Fellowship Evangelical Free Church. On this day, the class met in the high school room as the class’ usual room was being used by the high school department. They needed a room with a divider so that the class could be grouped by gender for a discussion of purity. The room we were in was adjacent to another room where people were playing basketball. It sounded like people were de-constructing the building during the lesson. That is the only complaint I had about this class.

-The class was great. Dr. Kevin Huggins actually incorporates many of the Adult Education techniques I am learning at UT. It was great to see that the methodology works in practice. I showed up for the first in a series called “Jesus’ Guide to True Happiness” based upon the Beatitudes. Michael Wender (JMW) was fabulous in facilitating the lesson.

-My old student council advisor from West High School, TJN, was also in the class. Clarification: I used “old” as in the length of time I have known her, not her age.

-I spent Sunday afternoon with JTH and ALK. They made me puppy chow/reindeer poop the night before as I can eat desserts only on Sundays. They put Baby Ruth bars in them as I cited them as my favorite candy bar. (I had not eaten one in so long I honestly struggled to come up with an answer to that question). If the product is known both as reindeer poop and puppy chow, does that mean that puppies eat reindeer poop?

-As I began to eat my snack, we deiced to watch a movie. I selected one of my favorites, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Neither of them had seen the movie and neither of them particularly liked it. I think that they just do not have enough regrets to appreciate the film. I do not have that problem.

-We watched the opening scene of the movie Troy on television. Both of them balked when words scrolled down the screen to begin the film. They both essentially cut their losses when words scroll across the screen. Yes, they both hate Star Wars. The two are made for each other.

-We then decided to pick up KGG to take her to get a smoothie. We also saw her father, JCG. They had yet to meet ALK. I teased ALK by noting one of her points from an ongoing debate. ALK wants a Yorkshire Terrier. JTH and I have no problem with that. She wants the dog to live indoors. Here is where the difference of opinion emerges. Earlier in the day, ALK stated (as one her primary reasons) for this was so that people could not poison the dog while it roamed outside. Seriously. I have never heard of an incidence of this. I consulted JCG and KGG on their opinion. They made a new friend by diplomatically siding with ALK.

-Since our usual smoothie supplier, Smoothie King, was closed, we took KGG to Denton’s Big Orange Drinks. JTH observed that Denton’s spelled backwards is “Snot Ned”.

-In a sign that apocalypse may be upon us, KGG presently has no boyfriend.

-After dropping KGG back at her house, we ate at Aubrey’s where we had a fantastic server named Christy. We then returned to my home where we watched Failure to Launch on DVD. In a reversal of the response to the earlier film, they liked it while I did not. It is virtually the same movie as How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (which I love) except instead of both protagonists being duplicitous, only the female lead is. This meant that only Sarah Jessica Parker (SJP)’s character was being dishonest and as such, more unlikeable that SJP usually is. She did not deserve Matthew McConaughey!

-I must admit I am biased. I am not a fan of SJP. I place her on the same level as Barbara Streisand. The only level lower in my hierarchy of actresses is Raven-Symoné.

-Finally, Sunday was MPW’s birthday. Happy birthday, Matt!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I arrived at the home page of your blog and started reading about some of my friends, of course my curiosity was peaked. So here I am commenting on the post which documents the first time we met. Thanks for the props. I'm glad you're enjoying your time with us.

I enjoy the peeks into your life and thoughts that you're giving us here.

Be Blessed, JMW