Friday, February 27, 2009

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 2/27/2009, Part 2

News & Notes from Thursday, February 26th, 2009

-On Thursday night, I attended Bible Study at Fellowship Evangelical Free Church for the second consecutive week. The class is entitled “I Corinthians: The Christian’s Guide for Living in a Hostile World” and meets from 7 PM-8:15 PM in the Fellowship Prayer Chapel. This week’s lesson on I Corinthians 5 was taught by Paul Hall. As usual, I enjoyed the experience.

-This week I took JTH with me. I love him but on this night he was the Bible Study participant from hell. Not only did his phone go off several times during the lesson but he also fell asleep at several junctures. This was made all the more obvious as he sat directly in front of the teacher! Ordinarily, I would make a humorous comment so that I could get the laughter out of my system but the subject matter did not lend itself to that. JTH’s explanation after the class? “I’ve always thought Bible studies are better with a table.” He insists the furniture makes it harder not to sleep! For all of you out there who lead Bible Studies, make a note of this.

-After the class, a well rested JTH and I met ALK at Applebees. We were also joined by ants. If you sit on the wall of the restaurant facing North Peters Road, be aware that there is a good chance your booth will be ant infested. Our waitress and friend, Amy, thought about moving us but figured that there would be ants throughout her section.

-ALK is well. She will begin training this weekend for a 25-mile bicycle event. She also finished Danielle Steel’s A Good Woman. (See this February 23rd “In Eckleburg’s Eyes” post for details.) It really did not get much better.

-I also heard the story of why Megan quit working at the restaurant. You may remember that I ran into the former Applebees hostess at O’Charley’s over the weekend. I asked her fellow hostess, Amanda, to relay an explanation. This proved quite awkward. It seems Megan asked Amanda to cover her shift on New Year’s Eve citing the need to visit family. She was caught in town and texted another employee admitting her ruse. When Amanda confronted her, she fled the restaurant crying. I would naturally ask the person who was involved in her quitting to relay the story of her leaving.

-In the biggest news from Monday, WCM has officially joined our church league basketball team. WCM and I grew up together in the church and I am very excited about renewing our friendship.

No comments: