Monday, February 23, 2009

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 2/23/2009, Part 3

News & Notes from Saturday, February 21st, 2009, Part 2

-On Saturday night, JTH, ALK, and I went to see the 7 PM showing of Twilight at Carmike Movies Seven. JTH alerted ALK that she needed to be ready ASAP. At 6:11 PM, he received the following reply: “I am not ready. How soon is ASAP?”

-The last time JTH and I attended the former dollar theater, admission was $4 but the customer was also entitled to popcorn and a beverage. That offer still stands but now the customer can simply pay $2 for admission. The ambience is well worth the $2. Our theater was cordoned off by tape and a large bucket (no clue) at the front and there were holes visible in the ceiling.

-JTH and ALK had both already seen the film while I had not. ALK, an avid fan of the books, still loves it while JTH hated it more than ever. He balked at the acting of Robert Pattinson and the film’s premise. Commenting on the foolishness of a vampire dating a human (its food), JTH examined, “I’m sorry. I’m not making friends with a freaking green bean!” Fair enough.

-We went at my request. Though strange for a guy, I love chick flicks but don’t especially like vampire films. To be honest, I really liked the movie. It is definitely my favorite vampire film of all time, though that is not saying much. I would be lying if I said I could not tell it was written by a woman. Still, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

-Also, I must note that in any other known situation, Edward Cullen would be labeled a stalker. Still, the only part I found totally ridiculous was when Billy Black (Gil Birmingham, the wheel chair bound Native American) gave Edward the evil eye. I am no acting critic but that was way over done. I involuntarily laughed out loud offending the many tweens in attendance.

-I think one of the key messages of this movie is to never date a vegetarian.

-While at the theater, we got to see De La Rosa, who takes tickets for the theater, for the first time in some time. He noted that he had been away taking care of business. (I was scared at what that might entail seeing as how he takes tickets for a living.) His disdain for the name “De La Rosa” persists. He said that De La Rosa is dead and that he in fact killed him. Perhaps he has been away burying “De La Rosa”’s body...

-After the movie, JTH, ALK and I ate at O’Charley’s. Our waitress, MMK, was excellent. We also learned that Megan, a former hostess at Applebees now works at O’Charley’s. She left her previous employer due to personality conflicts.

-ALK filled us in on a book that she has been reading - Danielle Steel’s A Good Woman. Her mother recommended the novel. The content is so depressing she feels it has been keeping her up nights. What were her mother’s motivations?

-In the book, the main character is shunned. I have never shunned anyone. I am thinking of doing so just to use the word. Then again, I am not sure that is not what God is doing to me...

-Finally, Saturday was AMTT’s birthday. Happy birthday, Cheezette. I hope to take you out to celebrate soon.

No comments: