Wednesday, February 18, 2009

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 2/18/2009, Part 2

News & Notes from Tuesday, February 17th, 2009, Part 1

-I spent a large part of Tuesday getting my paperwork in order at UT. (See the February 12th Prayer Blog for details.) I received a phone call from JRH at 8:34 AM alerting me that the form which I re-filed on Monday had been misfiled as a Master’s Program! I drove to campus and submitted yet another change of program form. Soon afterwards, I received a call saying that they needed an official transcript from the McAfee School of Theology before the form could be process. Thankfully, I was in a meeting and did not received this call as the transcript was found just a short time later. They have also found my GRE scores since the February 12th phone call indicated they too had been lost. After dealing with several offices at UT, I called JRH at 3:37 PM and as of that time, all of my paperwork is in order. How long it stays that way remains to be seen.

-At 3 PM, I met with Dr. WDS at his church, First Baptist Church, Knoxville downtown. I parked in the church’s lot on Locust Street and found this sign threatening to tow trespassers humorous. The lot is downtown so I understand the necessity of such a policy, but I found the sign strange for a church to display.

-I arrived early for the meeting. After I was buzzed into the building, I looked around. The church is on the National Register of Historic Places. Photos of every pastor in the church’s long history are displayed in a hallway. The church is so old that many of the early pastors sported thick moustaches, a la the Deadwood television series. WDS did not seem too impressed with my suggestion that he bring that look back.

-I met with WDS for approximately half an hour. It was grueling as he peppered me with hard questions that were completely necessary given the nature of the conversation. His church is seeking an administrator and otherwise is in no position to hire anyone but he graciously offered to send my resume to his friends. He accurately assessed that getting my name “out there” is critical at this juncture.

-As always, please keep my educational and professional future in your prayers.

No comments: