Wednesday, February 11, 2009

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 2/11/2009, Part 2

News & Notes from Monday, February 9th, 2009, Part 2

-After he got off of work, I met BKW at Grand Slam Pizza. BKW prepared my goddaughter, KAW, and I to see each other. She is now four years old. As he attempted to explain the concept of godfather, she equated it to having a fairy godmother. She was excited by the prospects until she asked whether or not I could fly. When BKW admitted I could not, I think the child felt cheated. He tried to redeem my reputation my noting that I renounced Satan to become her godfather. This just did not compensate for my inability to fly without the crutch of an airplane.

-We then drove to BKW’s gated community, Legacy Park, where we ate the $5 pizzas we had picked up. BKW lives in a cul-de-sac. Also living on the cul-de-sac is rapper Big Snow.

-I got to play with BKW’s dog, Jack. Jack is quite possibly my favorite dog ever. He can get rowdy and wrestle and when you want him to calm down he can change emotions on a dime. It is amazing. I thought only women could change moods so quickly. (Sorry, couldn’t resist.) What is it with me loving dogs lately?

-The family is great. BKW’s wife, RCFW is doing well. She had recently gotten glasses and they are quite becoming. She had a positive doctor’s report earlier in the day and hardly looks pregnant. The baby is due on April 19th (though I am hoping it will be born a week early so we can share a birthday). The baby’s name will be Caroline. I asked if the name would be spelled with a K to compliment her sister, Kelsey. BKW was pleased I asked as he had also made the suggestion and been ridiculed for it.

-KAW was entertaining as ever. She always introduces me to her beloved bear. In one breath, she said, “This is a girl and it’s a bear and its name is Bear (I smile) and that’s not funny.”

-KAW is really into princesses. She showed me her room, which has a Disney Princess theme, complete with a canopy over her bed. KAW’s preschool at Summit Baptist Church in Acworth has a wall banner asking four year olds the question “What would you ask Jesus?”Here are some responses:
  • Lawson: “Can I learn kung fu?”
  • Nathan “How do you make tornados?”
  • Luke: “How tall will I be?”
  • Hannah: “How do you make flowers different colors?”
  • Marlee: “Can I have a cat?” (Anyone else find the irony of a Marley wanting a cat? Probably not...)


-What did Kelsey ask? “Can I be a princess forever?” BKW told her that Jesus said “yes.”

-KAW is also excited about being a big sister. She has been promised a big sister basket full of goodies. After discussing the basket’s possibilities at length, I asked her which she was more excited about, the baby or the basket. Her reply, “Both.” She is quite the diplomat.

-While BKW showered and changed clothes, Jack, KAW, and I watched Sheerluck Holmes and the Golden Ruler, the 28th episode in the VeggieTale series. BKW joined us for the conclusion and is especially fond of a “silly song” which lampoons gated communities. It reminds him of his own.

-After watching the video, BKW and I headed to his church, Light of Christ Anglican Church (located at 775 Franklin Rd SE #100 in Marietta). There we discussed inner healing ministry at length.

-BKW and I then caught the 9:40 PM showing of The Wrestler at the AMC Barrett 24 Commons in Kennesaw. BKW wanted to see the film with me as professional wrestling is one of my (few) areas of expertise. I appreciated the film. It was remarkably authentic and as such, a little painful to watch. I forget that those unfamiliar with wrestling are unaware that wrestlers cut themselves to bleed in matches or that wounds are commonly patched with super glue.

-Both BKW and I were impressed with the juxtaposition of the wrestling and stripping professions. It was well done and thought provoking.

-I must also note that the Bruce Springsteen song, “The Wrestler”, which plays at the credits roll, may be the best marriage between a song and a movie I have seen. I am not especially a Springsteen fan but felt the song was unbelievable. It won the Golden Globe on January 12th in the best original song category. The song can be accessed on YouTube here.

-We then returned to BKW’s home where I spent the night in a room being renovated for baby Caroline.

-Finally, On Monday I was paid one of the biggest compliments of my life. I was informed that I would be inheriting the library of my church’s saintly former pastor, HMC, who died on November 20th.

No comments: