Wednesday, January 7, 2009

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 1/7/2009, Part 2

News & Notes from Tuesday, January 6th, 2009

-On Tuesday morning, I worked a shift at Hope Resource Center (HRC). This photo is of the new greeter, Carla, who began training on this day. Though I was a little jealous that her training did not encompass the videos I was subjected to, I really liked her. She did, however, note that HRC smelled like a bed and breakfast she once worked at. I was pleased that I had no frame of reference on that one.

-After several no-shows the previous week, both of my clients made their appointments (though the first was 37 minutes late and I had to rush back to the facility after having left). Speaking of the previous week’s no shows, LEB wisely had me remove their names from the December 24th installment of “In Eckleburg’s Eyes”. On the plus side, someone actually found my blog!

-I wanted to document this roster of the HRC staff. In it, JLCN typed her name twice as both the job title and its holder. I thought this was awesome. This is an historic photo as when I pointed it out, she whited it out. I hope one day to be Chandler Vinson, who serves as the Chandler Vinson of some church.

-After my shift, I met KLTW and KJW at Fisher Tire Company where KLTW was to get her tires rotated. She had never been to the Bearden location (or knew it existed) and we were both impressed when she found it with no problems.

-KJW was very tired. She had just finished her first day of preschool at the Central Baptist Church of Bearden. She is in a class of younger two-year olds with among others, her friend Ainsley, the daughter of our good friend SRM. KJW did very well. She sang songs, painted snow, ate all of her lunch, and even took a nap with the rest of the children. She did not ask her mommy to stay when she was dropped off but was happy to see her when she picked her up. KLTW was so proud of her.

-After dropping off the car at Fisher, we ate at the Silver Spoon CafĂ©. When KLTW accidentally bumped KJW’s head getting her out of the car, KJW excused her saying, “It’s okay. It was an accident.” On this rainy day, KJW also consistently informed her mother that she needed an umbrella. We had a good chat over lunch while KJW mooched bread throughout the meal.

-Since we had not heard from Fisher when we finished eating, we went to the nearby West Town Mall. KJW loves the play area and we contemplated getting her a lunch box. She needed one for school and had been eying another child’s enviously. When we got to the mall, KJW excitedly ran ahead of us to the play area.

-After KJW had played for awhile, we stopped at the Disney Store, Hallmark, and I dropped into PacSun to see PCR. When KJW would see something she liked, she would note that she wanted it for Christmas. When we were in Build-A-Bear Workshop, KLTW promised her that we would return for her birthday (in June). From that point on, anything KJW wanted, she wanted for her birthday.

-KJW also begged to ride this car ride in the mall. When KLTW and I saw the car's painfully slow movement we felt we had been ripped off. Despite the fact that it lasted only a few seconds, KJW wanted off almost immediately after it started.

-After all of that time, KLTW did not get the tires rotated as Fisher insisted she need new ones and we never did buy KJW a lunch box!

-I spent Tuesday night with JTH and ALK. We stopped by McKay’s before eating at Aubrey’s. While at Aubrey’s we hid ALK’s purse when she went to the restroom. When she returned we had a great time teasing her. When I asked her what the item in question looked like, she replied, “It’s big. It’s brown...it’s a big brown thing.” Once she realized we were teasing her, I suggested she inspect JTH. She looked at him and informed, “It can’t fit in your pants! Now give it to me!” We did comply. Eventually.

-We then went to my house where we watched Tulsa defeat Ball State 45-13 in the GMAC Bowl on ESPN. Why did we watch this game? Primarily to see if the cameras showed Lady Vol Volleyball star Chloe Goldman(CDG) in the stands. Her boyfriend, Darius Hill, is Ball State’s tight end and she went to Mobile, Alabama, for the game. Sadly, they never gave CDG any much deserved air time.

No comments: