Wednesday, December 24, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 12/24/2008

On Tuesday, I worked a long shift at the Hope Resource Center (HRC).

I had two appointments scheduled but neither of my clients showed up. ***** and ****** were scheduled to have STD tests performed. I hope they do not get one of the real gifts that keeps on giving this holiday season. LEB, the organization’s administrator, is thinking of fining people who do not make their appointments like a doctor’s office would. I will simply name them on my blog. Is that unethical?

Though I did not counsel anyone, I enjoyed my time at the center. I met JLCN’s father, who was visiting from California. I also had long conversations with a counselor named Shirley (and I can call her Shirley) and LEB.

I always love talking to LEB. At a Christmas party on Saturday (December 20th), she dressed as the Virgin Mary forty weeks pregnant. You have worked at HRC too long when not only is this your costume, but you know the specific number of weeks pregnant. It is also worth nothing that she and her friend (dressed as Elizabeth) were the only ones who followed through on the theme of dressing as your favorite Christmas character. At least they won the costume contest. They also won a caroling contest by having the weaker singers mouth the word “strawberry” repeatedly. I will have to remember that trick.

LEB also fulfilled her New Year’s resolution on December 6th. She ran a half marathon in Memphis (because it is flat land). Congratulations!

No comments: