Friday, January 16, 2009

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 1/16/2009, Part 1

News & Notes from Wednesday-Thursday, January 14-15th, 2009

-I had a very prosaic Wednesday highlighted by meals at Soccer Taco with JTH and at Applebees with my father. (Note: There were several hours between meals.) While at Soccer Taco, I was subjected to repeatedly reliving the Tennessee basketball team’s loss from the previous night as countless highlights of Jodie Meeks record setting performance played throughout the meal.

-On Thursday, I conducted MLM’s hospital visits as he was recovering from having one of his front teeth replaced the previous day. I made visits at Baptist Hospital West, UT Medical Center, and St. Mary’s Medical Center.

-My first stop was at Baptist West where I visited with the families of BPD and JDG. I first stopped in Room 418 to visit BPD. She was asleep when I arrived but I did talk to her husband ,LND. He goes by “Chic” (like the animal, not the fashion term, though he was a well dressed man). Their minister and friend ALF had already been making daily visits. In a very nice way, I got the impression that since they had ALF, what did they need me for? I write this to document what a great pastor ALF is.

-I then made my way to JDG’s room. JDG is a 96-year old who had improperly ingested food on Sunday and had developed pneumonia. I talked at length with his caretaker, Michelle, and his daughter, Jane. Jane wondered if we could have someone sit with her mother. I relayed the message back to the church.

-I then hit the interstate to UT Medical Center for a far more uplifting visit. Not only did I get this pass to perpetually validate my parking at the hospital, but I visited CELJ in room 311 - the maternity ward. I got to chat with her mother, TEL (a friend and a member of my parents’ Sunday School class) and see her beautiful baby boy, Gavin O'Brien Jones. At what point does it become inappropriate to call a male beautiful? I figured in the case of a newborn, the descriptor is still acceptable.

-Also at UT, I tried to visit MBF. (See this Prayer Blog from January 9th> for details.) Thankfully she had been moved from room 1012 to a rehabilitation facility. Continue to keep her in your prayers.

-My final stop was at St. Mary’s where I visited the room of Ewing “Tex” Hight (EBH). His grandson, ACH, and I grew up together. He was in rehabilitation when I arrived but I got to meet his wife, DJH. In what might be deemed a miracle (should I ever be nominated for sainthood), I found Room 333 in the maze that is St. Mary’s with no difficulty. I am fairly certain that I parked illegally...

No comments: