Monday, December 8, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 12/8/2008, Part 1

I spent the better part of my weekend assisting with the coordination of Christmas gifts in one capacity or another.

On Saturday morning, I joined my mother, DLNV, at Middlebrook Christian Ministries, where we participated in the ninth annual Holiday Bucket Campaign. This program, run by MWS, distributes buckets of Christmas buckets filled with common household items such as razors, soap, shampoo, etc. My favorite item listed is “3 Tea Light candles”. This is something everyone needs...

The event was held in conjunction with the Hope Center. This is the history of the ministry that organization distributed:

My brother, Chucky Moyers, was the inspiration for this project. Having attended his last Hope Center Holiday party in 1999, he felt a bit overwhelmed by the tremendous outpouring of gifts for the kids. He was disheartened by the lack of such for the adult patients, so when I discussed this “Hope Bucket” idea with him, he thought it was great! It became my top priority after his death in 2000. With a little help from family & friends, I handled it independently for a few years; however, we always struggled to have enough. But once I quit trying to do it all on my own, and we issued this guideline sheet to allow friends in the community to support the project, it grew exponentially! I’m so proud that due to your overwhelming support, we now are able to provide enough buckets for ALL of Dr. Gillian's patients! The Hope Buckets are intended to give the patients a spark, sometimes their only spark for the holidays. The patients develop a strong, trusting relationship with Dr. Gillian and it’s only fitting that the buckets allow her to share with them a little holiday happiness. Thanks to your continued support of this project, this will be the 8th year that we are able to provide hope buckets anonymously, on behalf of Dr. Gillian and Hope Center. I know how much a gift means to someone who realizes that it may be their last Christmas, and believe me, your kindness will be long remembered!

Many heartfelt thanks to you,
Carol-Ann McMillan, Hope Bucket Coordinator

I had impeccable timing as always. The number of volunteers exceeded expectations and the project was completed in far less time than had been allotted. I honestly contributed very little. At least I got to see my mom and the great JFC.

As an aside, my favorite story from the weekend involved my mother. She accosted a Hibachi Factory delivery man at my house! As has been noted, there have been a rash of break-ins in my neighborhood. As such, the Neighborhood Watch has been re-instituted. The first meeting was held Friday afternoon at my next door neighbor’s home. During this meeting, I innocently ordered lunch. As is customary, the driver rang the bell to alert me of his presence. By the time I had gotten up the stairs to greet the man, my mother had sprung into action. She had run from the neighbor’s home and was interrogating him as to why he was in the neighborhood. There would be no robberies on her watch! The perplexed driver was alarmed. His car looked like it might collapse under the pressure of the food he was delivering much less anything he might steal.

The best part of this story is that while talking to the man, I noticed that my mother, who was so worried about protecting our home, had left the garage door wide open during the meeting!

No comments: