Monday, December 15, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 12/15/2008, Part 2

On Saturday, I inadvertently attended a Christmas parade in Marvyille.

How does one inadvertently attend a parade? It started when I decided to shop at Maryville’s Goodwill. This branch has the best selection of books in the area with an entire room devoted to reading materials. I noticed people lining the sidewalks when I entered and realized something was amiss, but did not think much of it. When I left the store, I found I was trapped in the middle of a massive parade!

I learned that I was witnessing the Maryville/Alcoa Jaycees annual Christmas Parade, which began at 11 am. (Note: If you click on their web site, you will hear a midi version of the Backstreet Boys’”Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)”. Seriously.) This year's theme was titled “Your Christmas Story.” Though it is difficult to tell from my typically inept photography, there were indeed people dressed as Civil War soldiers participating.


Despite the delay, I did make it home in time to watch the Tennessee basketball team play at Temple. This proved unfortunate as Tennessee never led as the defending Atlantic 10 tournament champs defeated the Vols, 88-72. Temple’s star, Dionte Christmas (pictured) lit Tennessee up like a Christmas tree for 35 points including seven three-pointers. That’s all I have to say about that.

The day did get better. I spent the evening with my parents. We ate at Calhoun’s. I saw my father in a sweater vest for the first time ever. I hope to never see this sight again and in deference to him did not take any photos.

Calhoun’s continues its demise. The last time I ate there, I posted that they no longer serve twice baked potatoes or the Rocky Top potato skins. (See the November 18th “In Eckleburg’s Eyes” post for details.) Now, only certain meals are eligible for their complimentary bread. I cannot tell you how much I hate the economic crisis.

No comments: