Monday, October 6, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 10/6/2008, Part 2

On Sunday morning, my class met at RAW’s. I taught a crash course on Patriarchs and Matriarchs (Genesis 12-50) in preparation for my Tuesday lecture at Carson-Newman College and began the series “How Would Jesus Vote?” I am attempting to get the self out of voting and vote based solely upon the issues from a Christian perspective. Who said I was not an idealist?

For WAM’s always valuable insights, see the WAM Quote of the Day.

I also got to catch up with KJW. She had been in her cousin APC’s wedding to Aaron Fraley (AF) the previous day at Ridge Valley Farms in Maryville. She served as flower girl. She walked to her mother, grandfather, and great aunt, throwing flowers at each stop before being carried to the altar by her great aunt. She was quiet throughout the service except at one juncture when she exclaimed, “I see my mommy!” This wedding dress cost $350 with the accompanying crown tolling an additional $50. $150 of the cost of the dress was for its alteration. RAW and I have decided that we are in the wrong professions.

KJW also danced throughout the reception. She mastered the “Cha Cha Slide” and found her way to the center of the conga line. I am anxiously awaiting the video of these demonstrations.

After Sunday School, I went to eat lunch with JTH, his parents and ALK. We were eating lunch as opposed to dinner as JTH’s parents had tickets to the Annie Moses Band concert at our church later in the night.

JTH picked ALK up from her church and the duo was naturally late. This gave me time to catch up with his mother, KTH. She had been cooking since 7:30 am. She prepared a feast comprised of Italian chicken, corn (the only thing I did not eat as I am allergic), rolls, fried okra, cheesy potatoes and chocolate cake for dessert. When describing the process she told me, “Oh yeah, I’m good.” She was correct. The food was amazing. The only negative was that she did not have enough notice to prepare “Death by Chocolate”, arguably the greatest dessert on the planet.

I actually helped cook. At one point, KTH needed someone to hold a spoon while she removed the potatoes from the oven. I held the spoon for some seconds until she had both hands free. Aren't you impressed?

I left early to play flag football at Bearden Middle School. The game was organized by MBR (pictured) and flags were provided by NAH. We had thirteen players show, with KLD leaving just as JCT arrived. Thus, we played six on six.

We played for about two hours after Hayden Oakley (HAO) picked teams. I played on a team with Andrew Baker (AB), Phillip Humphries (PH), HAO, HAO’s friend Brian, and Darren Welch (DJW). We played against KLD/JCT, NAH, CEH MBR, Tuck, and an energetic guy named Dave. The teams were well matched. After scoring a touchdown on the last possession, my team trailed by one. We completed the two-point for a 27-26 victory. I was of little help. After blitzing on every play for two hours, I was spent. The fact that I was lined up against Dave most of the day accentuated me being a liability. If nothing else, my presence provided both an even number of players and enough to play the game.

After working out (yes, after the game), JTH and I picked up ALK from Bearden United Methodist Church where she was playing handbells. We picked up drinks at Denton’s. I got to drink my favorite beverage - a piña colada smoothie. Sadly I love piña coladas. I actually also like getting caught in the rain too though I have never drank a piña colada while getting caught in the rain. (Read: Lame Rupert Holmes reference.)

We then watched Another Cinderella Story. All three of us are fans of the original film starring Hilary Duff. Who isn’t? In this direct to DVD film, Selena Gomez assumes the Cinderella role. I liked it, but then again, I like cheesy romantic comedies. (Note: this photo was taken shortly after the film. It is JTH’s failed attempt to pop ALK’s back. He concluded, “You’re just to limber to pop.” I felt the need to document the moment.)

No comments: