Monday, October 6, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 10/6/2008, Part 1

On Friday, I met JTH at Wishbone’s Famous Fingers & Wings. I learned that I had to get my cup of water filled behind the counter because the water from the fountain had been replaced by soda water. Who drinks that? I have never met anyone who drinks that. Why would anyone drink that? Soda water? Really?

JTH informed me that “I have a new favorite artist.” He clarified that he meant an artist of the musical variety. I was not surprised. He then added, “Picasso is so old school...Who is Picasso?”

His new beloved artist is rock musician Andrew W.K.. JTH became familiar with his work through Jackass. Need I say more?



I spent Saturday with my family. We ate breakfast at IHOP and brought in dinner from Firehouse Subs. As usual, dad and I watched the Tennessee game together. On this night, the Vols defeated Northern Illinois 13-9. I remember a day when I had so much adrenaline after watching a UT football game that I struggled to get to sleep at night. Now, I struggle to stay awake during the games. I am not sure if that has more to do with my age or the state of the program.

On the plus side, not only did we win, but for the first time I can remember UT started a redheaded quarterback - Nick Stephens. No wonder Tennessee won.

With Auburn’s 14-13 loss to undefeated Vanderbilt (you read that correctly), all three teams that have beaten Tennessee have lost the following week. We may not be winning, but we may at least be jinxing our opponents.

No comments: