Monday, October 20, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 10/20/2008, Part 4

I spent Sunday night, with JTH. We drove while waiting for ALK to complete handbell practice at her church, St. Mark United Methodist Church. There were two things of note from the drive. We past a dying deer howling in the westbound lane of Northshore Drive. It was a horrific sight that touched both of us. The only positive was that we called 9-1-1 to have someone tend it. I would venture that JTH calls 9-1-1 more than anyone in the city.

In more positive driving news, I hit 82 miles per hour across the “Hazzard Hump” as optimum conditions presented themselves. That is a record in Chanana II. The landing was amazingly smooth. I attribute it to excellent skill behind the wheel and the fact that Chanana II is not equipped with four wheel drive.

We arrived at the church at the designated time but ALK’s practice was not over. Unbeknownst to us, it was not close to being over. We tried to enter the church through each of its entrances and discovered that they were all locked. I prefer to think of it as us securing the premises.

One of the doors was marked SMEEP. I learned that this acronym stands for St. Mark Early Enrichment Program. Personally, I think it would make a great curse word and plan on using it as such.

When ALK finally met up with us, we ate at Calhoun’s. There was a debate over this mayonnaise bottle which was placed on the table. ALK doubted the wisdom of it being kept unrefrigerated. JTH defended the restaurant and the bottle’s description supported him. I document this as it is one of the few times he will ever be right when debating her, not because he is incorrect but because he is the man in the situation.

Shortly after I returned home, my parents came back safe from a National Kidney Foundation meeting in Minneapolis. Thank you for your prayers regarding their safety.

No comments: