Friday, October 10, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 10/10/2008

On Thursday, I took a beautiful woman to a play. She was, however, married...

My Thursday began with a meeting with TWC at church. He graciously took time out of his schedule to help me research a paper as part of an adult education agency visit report for my class at UT. I will be analyzing the Faith Formations program of which TWC heads. We discussed educational philosophy and ministry for some time. It was a lot of fun.

On Thursday night, I took LBG to see the play “Chicago” at the Tennessee Theatre. Before seeing the musical, we ate at the Panera Bread location on campus. I had not eaten there in some time, though I often did while at the McAfee School of Theology. BHJ taught me what to order there. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what I did. I still had a good meal and enjoyed catching up with LBG.

I really enjoyed Chicago. It is the first in a series of Broadway plays coming to the Tennessee Theatre. A complete listing can be found on their web site or in this brochure. LBG was quite familar with the play, having seen both the 2002 movie and the play several years ago in Knoxville. The play she saw starred, among others Alan Thicke as Billy Flynn!

Though I had not seen the movie or play, I had seen Curtain by the same authors in New York on April 11th. (See the April 14th edition of "In Eckleburg's Eyes" for details.) I really liked the play but I preferred Curtains. My favorite line came from the Flynn, the lawyer:

”I don't mean to toot my own horn, but if Jesus Christ lived in Chicago today, and he had come to me and he had five thousand dollars, let's just say things would have turned out differently. “

Finally, Thursday marked the 30th birthday of my friend RWW. Happy birthday, Woody!

No comments: