Thursday, August 21, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 8/21/2008

On Wednesday, I had my first class in many moons at the University of Tennessee.

My class, Survey of Adult Education, met in room 106 of the Humanities Building, where I had taken so many classes as an undergraduate. RGB was the instructor and is lobbying for a different room. It seems that space in the Claxton Building (home of the education department) is at a premium.

There were nine students in the class, seven women and two men. RGB used the ice breaker of having each student develop her own vanity license plate. After acknowledging the difficulty of a minister creating a vanity plate, I settled on WCV4POPE.

We then were divided into three groups where we were given the task of defining “Adult Education.” Coincidentally, I was teamed with Dan and Amelia, the only other students who were not parents. Fortunately Amelia has a background in the field and was able to add invaluable assistance. I was hoping RBB would be so impressed with our insight that he would forego the program and simply bestow our degrees upon us then and there. Though he was complimentary, my diploma will wait.

The program will be difficult and I would be fighting an uphill battle to learn the terminology and history of a new field. I believe that it would be beneficial to do so.

Afterwards, I spent the evening with KLTW, KJW, RAW, and their guest MP. MP plans to join our basketball team. (Note: This photo of KJW was taken while I distracted her in the tunnel of her castle so that te others could play a video game.)

We played the Wii, on loan from KL. KLTW was defeated soundly by all challengers. Sorry, KLTW, but this need be documented.

No comments: