Tuesday, August 19, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 8/19/2008

I had a busy Monday with my UT orientation sandwiched between visits with friends.

SMA and I met for lunch at Soccer Taco. Afterwards, we went to Oak Ridge where we shopped for books before I dropped him off to play frisbee golf with RLN. The big find of the day was the autobiography of “Sister Bernadette: Cowboy Nun From Texas”.

On Monday night, I attended orientation for the Educational Psychology & Counseling Department. The informal event was held in the Hermitage Room of the University Center. Pizza from Sbarro was served. Since my time at the university, a Sbarro has been installed in the UC. This was great news.

Students from all branches of the program (Master’s and PhD candidates) attended, current and incoming, as well as the professors. The program consisted of several professors welcoming us. I learned that the program is presently ranked 34th in the country.

After the brief introductions, we were then asked a series of multiple choice questions and divided up based upon our answers. We were supplied with a sheet of conversation starters to break the ice. In between each relocation, a raffle was held for a “moderately expensive” door prize. I did not win.

I sat by two incoming counseling students from Memphis who had completed their undergraduate degrees at UT. Yet again my background in professional wrestling was invaluable as one of the girls not only knew who Jerry The King Lawler was but had recently seen him in a Memphis grocery store. What other king does his own grocery shopping?

I also met the two professors I will be working most closely with, RGB and MHZ. They were both very kind. I will be taking EP 520, (“Survey of Adult Education”) with RGB on Wednesday nights from 5:45-8:35 PM. My other class will be taught by MHZ (EP 522, “Adult Development”). That class time has not yet been established. Yes, two days before the start of classes and no time and place had been decided. It was good to know UT had not changed completely since my last class there.

I was pleased to learn that RGB has already worked with four ministers. One of those was MHZ’s husband! They were very encouraging though it is still worth noting that I have yet to be officially welcomed to the department and until I have it in writing I will not assume my admission.

After orientation, I spent the evening with KLTW, KJW, and eventually RAW (when he got off work). KLTW cooked chicken, black eyed peas, mashed potatoes and rolls. KLTW repeatedly apologized for the simplicity of the meal. It was good and free. What’s to complain about?

As usual, KJW was a treat. She initially refused to eat her black eyes peas and was informed that she would not be partaking of the cookies her mother made until she did. KLTW and I were in conversation minutes later when KJW, still sitting by her uneaten vegetables, shrugged, and said “Alright.” She then begin devouring the peas. She got her cookie. It would not be the only one she would get.

Later in the night, as her mother and I were conversing in the adjacent living room, I noticed KJW had returned to the kitchen where she had contorted herself into a pushed in chair. It was hysterical and remarkable that she could fit into the space. I wondered why she did this. I kept watching and finally she stood in the chair and reached across the table where the container of cookies rested just within her reach. After going to such lengths we could not help but give her the cookie she so wanted.

She is very into creating fantasy worlds. This picture is of her sandwiched between the poles of a light. She called this “jail.” She also pranced around on an imaginary “silver” skateboard as she had seen children in her aunt’s subdivision on them. She will also occasionally pretend to be blinded and scream “my eyes!” I have no idea where this came from.

At one point she began saying, “Sorry, I’m bad.” I asked what this was about. I realized she was singing along to Buckcherry on the radio. I must note that RAW was not home at this point. He would never have approved of the child listening to pop. (Note: This photo came after KJW stole my hat and tried it on.)

KJW has also taken to preceding many of her comments by saying, “Check this out.”

In news from the family, KLTW’s sister delivered her baby on Friday (August 15th). It will most definitely be her third anf final child. The child’s name is Kaya Hope (KHK). All of the girl’s in the family have names which begin with K. Her parents chose her first name and her middle name was given by her big sister KGK.

Finally, Monday was my cousin HANJ’s 25th birthday. Happy birthday, “Bug”!

No comments: