Monday, July 21, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 7/21/2008

Like a vast majority of the country, I screened The Dark Knight this weekend.

My Bible Study met at Shoney’s on Friday morning before heading to Carmike Cinemas Wynnsong 16 for the 10:30 AM showing of the film. Wynnsong had 22 presentations of the film on its opening day and we participated in its third. We were expecting a crowd of mass proportions but arrived to find an almost empty parking lot. I chose this theater as I assumed other Knoxvillians would choose the nicer Regal Pinnacle theater but I never expected the total desolation we experienced at Wynnsong.

Despite the lack of viewers, two of the most annoying movie goers in human history sat in rows next to ours! A soccer mom directly in front of us continually texted which entailed her phone lighting up at inappropriate times. For the record, during a movie this would be any time!

This woman was the model of decorum compared to the father who brought his three-year old son to the violent film in the row behind us. Not only was the son subjected to the violence of The Dark Knight but many sexual scenarios in previews preceding the film. Naturally, the child talked throughout the film, eventually pleading with his father to take him home. The father vetoed his request. MLM admitted regretting not confronting the father and asking him to leave the film for the child’s sake. MLM and I were on the same page. I wanted them to leave to. Maybe not for the child’s sake...

With a theater experience this bad, I am pretty sure SMA was sitting somewhere nearby.

Oh, lest I forget, I thoroughly enjoyed the film itself. Like virtually everyone, I echo the praise for Heath Ledger as The Joker. I think his Joker is the definitive version, far outclassing Jack Nicholson. I feel comparing the two is unfair as they appear in vastly different films and as such roles. I feel a better parallel is that his rendition of a sociopath exceeds even Anthony Hopkins’ brilliance in The Silence of the Lambs. I thought he was that good.

The film was long for a summer blockbuster (152 minutes). If you have yet to see the film, there are no extras after the credits.

My group will discuss the film in two weeks as MLM is with a youth trip this week. I will attempt to post a theological review of the film after we discuss it. I can already divulge that I do not agree with all of the film’s ideology, particularly its stance on truth. I do plan on viewing the film at least once before then, preferably without any children within earshot.

Late on Friday night, I went to Applebees with JTH and JBT. I think I was experiencing withdrawal as I had not eaten there all week. I cannot tell you the last time that happened. A sign that we eat there too often is that our waitress referenced my only eating desserts on Sundays. When JBT asked why, she responded, “Because he’s weird.” She really does know me...

Though SCB did not attend, her 19-year old brother, Justin, did. He eerily resembles a young Jamie Foxx. He has moved from Virginia to avoid the drug culture he grew up in. He also provided a great scapegoat as JBT is blaming a push off on the basketball court for the injury to his right elbow.



On Sunday morning, Sunday School was held at MPW’s condo. We continued our study of Jesus’ High Priestly Prayer. On this day we studied John 17:6-19. WAM’s invaluable insights are posted in the WAM Quote of the Day. This picture of the Brothers Walker was taken by WAM. In fact, they confiscated the camera soon afterwards as he took photos throughout the scripture reading. I never seem to remember not to give him the camera.

Note: That vast light may very well be the light of God emanating from the teacher...me.

It is always worth noting that KJW did not attend as she was actually at church with her aunt PWC. She did call to let us know where she was going to eat. Technically, PWC called, but KJW did speak.

My Sunday afternoon was spent in preparation for the night’s “Summer Breeze” Bible Study. I frantically prepared a lesson on all 16 prophets as MLM had called the previous night and asked me to teach while he was on vacation with the youth group. I arrived according to schedule at 6 pm at the church lobby. What MLM forgot was that the majority of the group was with him at the beach and that he also gave them less than a day’s notice as to the meeting. So no one showed except me. It was not all for loss. In addition to being prepared for next week, I picked up this fascinating literature from LifeWay. This deacon does indeed "got skills." The skills depicted actually are a clear embodiment of those stated in the Pastoral Epistles. Sorry, I never seem to be able to resist critiquing LifeWay.



Despite the much anticipated movie premier, the highlight of my weekend was ½ price weekend at area Goodwill branches. Sadly, this kind of discount on books rivals Christmas for me.

No comments: