Monday, April 7, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 4/7/2008

My weekend went well and my sunburn is healing nicely. The biggest remnant of the burn is on the right side of my forehead. I have a Mikhail Gorbachev look going for me.

Friday was wonderful because it was a rainy day, limiting the negative effects of earth's dreaded yellow sun. I ran errands during the day and spent the evening with JTH at MoFoS. Sadly, he has officially given his two weeks notice. I hope we get to play one last round of receipt tape derby before he retires...

Unfortunately, I simply could not wait to eat until 11 pm with what PAT calls MoFoS "executives," so I got my own Applebees carry out order and returned home.



On Saturday, I ate with my parents at the awlays delicious Litton’s Market & Restaurant and then returned to MoFoS to hang out with JTH and our friend MJB, who stopped by. MJB, who lives in Johnson City, has plans to return home to Knoxville when the new Best Buy opens in Turkey Creek in November.

More importantly, he plans on resuming his career as professional wrestling referee "Squeaky Herman." Evidently a new wrestling league has emerged in East Tennessee calling itself United Championship Wrestling (UCW). The new name has the same old usual suspects - Donovan Daniels (known affectionately as "Stretch Nuts"), Menace (aka "Black Hayabusa"), West High alum Robbie Race, etc. Whether or not MJB returns to active competition, you can bet we will attend to heckle at some point or at least inform the combatants that Tommy Rich is hiding beneath their ring.

I spent Saturday night at RAW’s watching the Final Four in the NCAA Tournament. Before the Kansas-North Carolina basketball game, we watched a program called Wonder Pets!. KJW and KLTW enjoyed the program while RAW expressed homicidal thoughts towards a duck named “Ming- Ming.” As you can tell from the photo, KLTW was not exactly focused on the program which might explain her enjoyment.

I brought KJW a book from "Paw Prints" called Opposites. I learned quickly that she is too young for these concepts as every picture was simply, "puppy." I am sure it will come in handy in a few months. Besides, she did like the dogs.

Though the Tar Heels would make a game of it, they were down 40-12 at one point in the first half, so KJW provided our entertainment. (Yes, I know she probably would have anyway.) She showed musical brilliance by mixing "Rain, Rain, Go Away" with the alphabet song. If she one day decides to be a DJ (KJ the DJ?), I may have documented the moment she first showed proficiency.We also engaged in a sword fight using the toy carrot baseball bats (an Easter novelty item). Her daddy won.

At half-time, I left to get food at Sonic as I had not yet eaten supper desite the late hour. I brought a Butterfinger (naturally) Blast for KLTW (aka “Butterfinger”). KJW liked it so much, she licked the outside of the container to get a taste of its contents!

Before, I left KJW changed into the Elmo pajamas I recently got her. There is no story - I just wanted to show the picture. She is getting more accustomed to posing. I suppose the thousands of pictures I have taken of her have had an impact other than resutling in her hatred of photography.

I had two favorite KJW moments on this night. She spends Saturday with her Nana, who is very proper. At one point during dinner, she said "poot." I would have loved to see Nan's face at that moment. No, I did not teach her that word.

I was actually present for the other occasion. Late in the evening, she crawled onto the couch to sit with myself and her parents. Naturally, she crawled over to me to get to her mommy. When she reached her destination she said, "Chan didn't help." The kid tattled on me! Besides, she clearly needed no assistance.

Before closing Saturday's thoughts, I would like to acknowledge my cousin JEV's 23rd birthday.



On Sunday morning, I decided to do a taste test in conjunction with Sunday School. I am sure if I think hard enough I can develop a theological rationale as to why I did this but the real reason is because I enjoy the Coke Zero commercials. I decided to do a taste test between Coke Zero and Coke to determine if their claims of “taste infringement” were valid.

RAW and WAM both successfully determined which drink was Coke Zero. KJW could not, though to her any beverage that has color, including Dr. Pepper and iced tea, are all fall under the umbrella term of "Coke." Thus, our margin for error is +/- 100%.

As an aside, if the two taste exactly the same and Coke Zero is healthier why would they not just discontinue Coke?

KJW was very well behaved on Sunday. When I arrived, shewas eating "Crunch" (Cap'N Crunch Crunch Berries). After breakfast, whe she asked for pie, I drew her the Greek symbol and explained that it equated to 3.14. I did not think reciting more than two decimal places were necessary at her age.

I also brought her Rod Campbell's book "Dear Zoo." This was clearly more age appropriate than the Opposites book from the previous night or the discussion of pi for that matter.

I spent Sunday night with my family at Calhouns celebrating the family's April birthdays. The news on my four fanstastic cousins is as follows:

  • HANW has a new Honda Accord and is unfortunately still not pregnant.
  • HANJ is preparing for her honeymoon (she was married in December) in Belize. I now know where Belize is.
  • ACN has recovered from her injuries enough to resume dancing. She has not heard from Camp Lenox in some time about her summer job. Pray that this comes to fruition as planned.
  • HLN is still dancing and working too hard in school.

After dinner, I returned to my house and watched the Lady Vols advance to the National championship game while JTH did his taxes. I want to denote that this is not the euphemism Joey used for taxes on the television show "Full House." I realize that I am the only one who might have interpreted it that way, but I have not referenced "Full House" in a while and needed to meet my self-enforced quota.

Michelle: What are they [newlyweds Jessee and Becky] doing in there?!
Joey: There’s doing their…taxes.
Michelle: Are they gonna do their taxies every night?!
Joey: For the first couple of months!

The UT-LSU game demonstrated why I do not watch women's basketball often. Two of the final four teams, presumably the best the nation has to offer, played horribly. LSU shot 35% from the floor and 37% from the line while UT was equally off (30% and 20%). Nickey Anosike missed a wide open game-winning layup. Fortuntely, Alexis Hornbuckle was there to clean up the mess and Tennessee won, 47-46. It was the first time the Lady Volunteers were held under 50 since 1982.

It was the 5th consecutive year LSU advanced to the Final Four without winning a game. I felt especially bad for senior Sylvia Fowles who had 24 points and 20 rebounds. Unfortunately (at least for her), she received little help from her friends.

The game was worth watching for the promo of LSU coach Van Chancellor folding his arms, which was shown at each commercial break. I do not think he realized that this body language is not congenial as he smiled. It was hysterical when contrasted against Pat Summitt's staredown. He voice also reminded me of Stuart Smalley's "Daily Affirmations" on Saturday Night Live. I was especially surprised to learn Chancellor he has a wife (Betty)...

No comments: