Wednesday, March 4, 2009

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 3/4/2009, Part 3

News & Notes from Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009

-On Tuesday, my 1 PM (and only) appointment at the Hope Resource Center (HRC) no-showed. This was the first time this has occurred in some time. The trip was not for naught as I got to talk with many of the wonderful volunteers on hand. Among the topics somehow addressed was the music of Prince. I can’t tell you the last time I had a discussion involving Prince, much less at HRC.

-On Tuesday night, MPW and I went to see the state’s top ranked AAA basketball team Bearden High School (MPW’s alma mater) play Farragut High School (their arch rival) at West High School (my alma mater). The game was a semifinal of the Region 2-AAA Tournament. MPW went at my request after I had been so impressed by Bearden in previous games. Naturally, they played one of their worst games of the season.

-As they typically do, Bearden substituted liberally throughout the game. Finally playing their first string, Bearden forced three consecutive turnovers in the games final seventy seconds, to secure a 54-47 win. Despite all of Bearden’s star power, only Nathan Parker played a noteworthy game. The 6'5" senior scored eight of his game-high 22 points in the fourth quarter, including a decisive steal and dunk with 52 seconds to play to extend the Bearden lead to 51-43. Blake Jenkins, who I believe is the best player on the team, did not play in the first quarter and finished with only five points.

-Bearden is now 33-2 (neither loss was in state) while Farragut finished its season 25-7.

-Despite the unimpressive game, MPW and I had a good time in the packed gym and saw many familiar faces. The p.a. played 1990s hip hop throughout the night, which pleased me, if noone else. Former West High Coach CDL stood atop the West student section much of the game and we visited after the game. MPW and I watched the fourth quarter with MSC, who was there with his Young Life students from Hardin Valley High School. We were glad we went.

-After the game, MPW and I ate at Applebees where we were eventually joined by KL. With our usual waitresses having the night off, Nikki stepped in. We had fun despite the people at the table next to us. MPW groaned when two tables were put together. No good ever comes from this scenario. You know how most groups have one loud, obnoxious member. There must have been a convention as all members of this group were that guy!

No comments: