Monday, March 23, 2009

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 3/23/2009, Part 2

News & Notes from Saturday, March 21st, 2009

-On Saturday morning I took AMTT to IHOP for her birthday. Her birthday is February 21st so I was exactly one month late which is about par for the course. We ordered the exact same thing: a stack of pancakes and a side of bacon. Unfortunately, this meant AMTT got her bacon as burned as I like mine. Sorry, Ames.

-When I walked in, our waitress Pam asked, “Is my fella not with you today?” She was referring to my father, whom I usually eat with. I found it odd to have my dad referred to as “my fella”...

-AMTT has been busy attempting to find her unborn baby childcare. The baby is due in September. Who knew that one had to start this early? Her first choice is Trinity United Methodist Church, where my cousins attend. Priority for admission goes to children who have siblings in the program, then to church members, and finally to others. Is being a friend of a friend of members worth anything? We are going to find out.

-On Saturday night, I visited JTH and TJK at MoFoS. Much to my surprise former employee CTH was also there. Even more surprising was that even TJK was happy to see him. I am pretty sure this is more indicative of how much TJK despises CTH’s replacement.

-The big news at the store was that earlier in the day, JBT and SCB had broken up. Not to be rude, but Ray Charles could have seen that coming. Predictability does not reduce the pain involved. Please keep them both in your prayers.

-The visit was to be short until our friend JTS walked in, seen here about to rip tape off of JTH's arm. Among the topics we discussed were his endorsement of the 1986 film Rad and his basketball team at Roane State. Roane State was eliminated in the first round of their tournament. The big news, as it has been all season was Ken Mink, the 73-year old player JTS has coached at Roane State this season. Wright Thompson, a reporter from ESPN, had spent a week with Mink investigating his story which has made many news outlets. Unlike other reporters, Thompson actually did his research, including taking JTS out on ESPN’s tab. The result was an 8000+ word article that is less than flattering. It is a great read and can be accessed here.

-Mink flunked Spanish and caused his team to forfeit a game. The 73-year old actually scored in the game. Mink’s story ended as it began - by being kicked out of school. This gives a potential movie about his life, which has been discussed, an ending. The real question: Who would play JTS in the film. Without hesitation, JTS answered: Dolph Lundgren.

-Finally, on Saturday, I picked up family prescription information from Walgreens for tax purposes. My 59-year old father’s information covered a page. Mine was small booklet...

No comments: