Monday, February 16, 2009

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 2/16/2009, Part 3

News & Notes from Sunday, February 15th, 2009

-On Sunday morning, I attended Fellowship Evangelical Free Church for the second week in a row. On this day, my friend JCN preached. He preached a sermon on II Timothy 2:2 entitled “Entrusted with the Gospel”.
The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. (II Timothy 2:2, NASB)

-As always, JCN was good. In the sermon, he acknowledged that his daughter will be named Annie.

-After the sermon, I bumped into a lot of former members of the Central Baptist Church of Bearden. JCN’s parents and the Luper family were my former Sunday School teachers who were in attendance. The gigantic (not in an obese sense), RLM, was a greeter at the door.

-After the worship service, I attended Soul Purpose for the second week in a row. Research scientist Ryan Bennink (RSB) taught the second week in a series on the Beattitudes called “Jesus’ Guide to True Happiness.” Matthew 5:4 was our text.
“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.” (Matthew 5:4, NASB)

-The lesson was great. RSB used the book of Job as a lense through which to view the text.

-I sat by a social worker named Melanie and a girl named Julie who works from home for a California based company called CIC. Julie actually lives in the same community of condominiums that MPW does. I told her of his “Bringing Sexy Back” moniker. When I told MPW this he informed me that he would now have to move.

-At one point, I lamented that I had never had a job with a water cooler. A newcomer named Trip told me that it was a TV myth. The real gossip comes from smokers around loading docks. Since producers are reluctant to show smoking on television, they invented the water cooler scenario. That bit of information was well worth attending Sunday School for.

-On Sunday night, I met JTH and ALK at Applebees. It has become a tradition that we meet there following road trips. This time they were the travelers. They had been to see Jeff Dunham at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky. The show started at 5 and they called me at 7:37 to let me know they were on their way home. They rushed and made it to Applebees before close.

-Amy was our server. On hearing of the trip, she congratulated JTH on a great Valentine’s gift. He acknowledged that the trip was actually ALK’s Christmas gift to him. Amy became indignant as she thought he just used it as a Valentine’s gift for her. He did not. They actually went on “double date” with his friends Chris and Tony. (If you know JTH, you get that joke.)

-Despite our frequent trips to Applebees, I had never eaten there on a Sunday. This meant I could finally try their dessert shooters. The chocolate mousse was very good. Plus, Amy gave it to me free making it taste that much better.

-The big news was that Nate, a problem child with severe special needs that has been terrorizing the daycare for some time, has been given two weeks to find a new after school home. The relief from JTH was palpable.

No comments: