Friday, January 9, 2009

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 1/9/2009, Part 2

News & Notes from Thursday, January 8th, 2009

-On Thursday, I ate lunch at the Food Court in West Town Mall with JTH . I ate at the Cajun Café. Though the food is good, it is not Cajun and I am uncertain as to whether any business situated in a food court could be accurately labeled a café.

-On Thursday night, I visited JTH at MoFoS. He was working with the new employee, JK. JK was clearly new as when I entered he was completing a task that would fall under the umbrella of “customer service”. Rookie!

-While JK was working, JTH was playing Guitar Hero for long intervals. JTH plays one and only one song, Cheap Trick’s “Dream Police”. For whatever reason, it never gets old...to him.

-While at the store, I learned that SH, a younger friend from church, had applied to work at MoFoS. I called her and got her permission to put myself down as a reference. Was that unethical?

-After his shift, JTH and I met JDM and ANS at the Bearden Applebees as TJK and JBT were at the Cedar Bluff branch. (JDM and JBT cannot mix.)

-Megan (MM), a server from the Cedar Bluff location, was at the bar with her boyfriend. I felt like I had gotten caught cheating. We wondered if she was calculating just how many times we eat at Applebees if we eat at other locations too...

-I entered Applebees wearing my prized Applebees Carside To Go t-shirt. The host thought I was messing with him when I told him that I did not work there but was just a fan. Come to think of it, I did sound pretty ridiculous. The staff's unfamiliarity with us was especially troubling when we were actually charged for beverages!

-I learned something new on this night. ANS, a longtime server at both Rafferty’s and Bonefish Grill, distinguished between a ramican and a bullet. The ramican is twice the size of a bullet.

-While dining, we watched Florida win the National Championship game 24-14 over Oklahoma. It was strange being in a room in Knoxville filled with people cheering for Florida. While our table was pulling for a fellow SEC school, the loud inebriated group that we were dining with let on that they had money on the game.

-ANS made a great observation regarding Oklahoma quarterback and Heisman trophy winner Sam Bradford: “I think he looks like a Jonas Brother.” I could not argue.

-JDM let us in on a long conversation from work regarding the (totally hypothetical) possibility of burning down Kroger. JDM was the only employee who had found a viable means of arson. We were all quite proud.

-We left immediately after the football game concluded as my threshold for obnoxious drunken revelry had long since elapsed.

No comments: