Wednesday, January 28, 2009

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 1/28/2009

News & Notes from Monday-Tuesday, January 26-27th, 2009

-On Monday, I ate lunch with JTH at Wishbone’s Famous Fingers & Wings. Wishbone’s is one of JTH’s favorite restaurants and I do not mind going. The food is fine but I do, however, get frustrated at their penny pinching. I realize that they are a locally run business in the midst of an economic crisis and all but charging for an extra honey mustard is a little ridiculous. On this day, they charged me $1.89 (plus tax mind you) for tap water! As often as JTH suggests we eat there, I have developed a plan to recoup some of this loss. The next time I need paper towels I am not buying any. I am going to walk into the restaurant and just take rolls off of the table. Not one or two, but all the tables. I may not even dine there the day I do this. What do you think?

-On Monday night, I briefly visited JTH at MoFoS. He was flying solo and attempting to organize the store’s new layout. In the midst of all of the new, he did bring out one old item- the clearance sign made by BC years ago. We discussed needing a reminder of JDM’s stint at the store as well. We then remembered that tire marks are still on the carpet from when he road his motorcycle into the business...

-While leaving the store I also talked to JBT. He asked me for help identifying his birth parents...in India. Any suggestions on where to begin the process?

-My Tuesday session at Hope Resource Center consisted of only one appointment, at 2 pm. The client did show up and I enjoyed chatting with him. After a poor start, that makes six kept appointments in a row!

-On Tuesday night, I attended my Ethical Issues in Adult Education course at UT. (Pictured is my beloved professor, RGB). We discussed ways to respond to ethical dilemmas and whistleblowing. The latter refers to speaking out to the media or the public on malpractice, misconduct, corruption, or mismanagement witnessed in an organization and not the literal blowing of whistles (which also would have been educational).

-We did not complete the portion on whistleblowing. This means I now have something to look forward to for our next class.

No comments: