Monday, January 19, 2009

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 1/19/2009, Part 1

News & Notes from Friday, January 16th, 2009

-I prepared for my trip to the national’s capitol the following day.

-In anticipation of the frigid weather in DC, I purchased a Ralph Lauren coat at Kohl’s. This is significant as it is the first coat I have owned in my adult life. Seriously.


-On Friday night, my parents and I drove to Kodak, Tennessee, where my aunt MCVD had secured tickets for Tuesday’s inauguration of Barack Obama. Printed autographed photos of Obama and vice president Joe Biden accompanied the tickets.

-The tickets were acquired through Linda Branam (LMB) who works at Newport Grammar School with my aunt. She had campaigned in former Johnson City Mayor Phil Roe’s successful bid to become Tennessee’s First District Congressman. She had gotten the tickets from Newport native and Johnson City resident Johnny Teague (JAT), who had served as Treasurer for Citizens to Elect Phil Roe to Congress. The staunch Republicans did not want to attend the event. It seems no one in the entire city of Newport did either.

-My parents and I visited with my aunt and her dog Pepper while we awaited the arrival of my uncle ECD. I love the dog. This picture was snapped while he was in my lap.

-Since we were “close”, I requested we eat at the Apple Barn. It is off the same exit as their house. Unfortunately, it is 12 miles from the house through Pigeon Forge traffic. It never seems that far in my head... It was worth the trip. I ate the kid’s portion of chicken n dumplins, which more than filled me.

-I also saw Dion, our server from October 16th. He appreciated that I had remembered to pray for him and he seemed to be doing well. See the October 16th Prayer Blog for details.

-No trip to Pigeon Forge is complete without visiting the Book Warehouse so my parents and I did so before returning home to Knoxville.

No comments: