Tuesday, December 9, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 12/9/2008

I spent Monday night with the MoFoS and Applebees, the official restaurant of MoFoS.

I joined JTH late in his shift. He was working alone. Unbeknownst to me, I would be paid back for a weekend indiscretion. JTH, ALK and I watched the 1954 holiday classic White Christmas on Saturday night. The movie is one of her favorite films. She had also recently learned that the Cumberland County Playhouse in Crossville is putting on a performance of the play and wanted to go. Since I love plays and road trips, I thought it was a great idea. This last sentence represents my entire involvement in this plan. You will note that the concepts of attending the play and alerting ALK to its existence did not originate with me.

Not surprisingly, JTH hated the film. It is in black and white and a musical. These facts alone would have made him detest it. Now, he will be going to see the play live. He blamed me.

When I arrived at the store, there was a customer lurking near the register. He was analyzing which Blu-Ray films he would purchase. He had already decided he would buy eight DVDs (a man after my own heart). Now, it was just a matter of selecting which eight he would purchase. After JTH informed him that I had superior movie knowledge the man consulted me about virtually every DVD in the store. I tried to walk away from him but he followed me! At this point, JTH left me alone with the customer. As Dante Hicks lamented, "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" (Read: Clerks reference.) JTH insists that this was not a conscious decision, but I believe at the very least he was subconsciously punishing me for the White Christmas trip.

Before the shift closed, TK and JBT joined us at the store. We were then met at Applebees by ALK. AFH was our waitress. She did not take my order but simply brought me my standard meal. For a man noted for hijinks, I am so predictable...

Also on Monday, Fleenor Security Systems completed installation of my home’s alarm system. Setting and disarming the system will prove to be quite a nuisance. I feel the burglars have already taken quite a deal from my family without ever having entered my home.

Finally, the biggest news of Monday came from my church, where TWC gave his two weeks notice. He and his entire family will be moving to Birmingham, Alabama. I have been in negotiations with him to work under his program for some time. I will post more news on this developing story, and specifically how if affects me, as it emerges.

No comments: