Tuesday, December 30, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 12/30/2008, Part 2

After the game, KL, MPW, and I joined JTH, TJK, ALK, and JBT at Applebees where AFH was our server. I had not dined in the restaurant in since the previous Monday. I think I was experiencing some withdrawal symptoms. We were late as traffic was heavy and I, whom pride myself on being prompt, did not hear the end of it.

I learned something new on this night. I never realized what an insult it is to point to the item you want in the menu while ordering. AFH evidently hates this. So I continually got menus and pointed to items. When I wanted a refill on my water I had a dilemma. Water is not listed in the menu. I thought it was hilarious. AFH did not.

AFH was having a rough night. In addition to being one of the few servers on duty, she was shorted by the table next to us. The customers even made a big gesture out of handing the bill to her and saying they wanted to make sure no one else got the money. Why do people do stuff like that?

AFH also had to handle our unruly bunch. The manager, Marsha, kept a close eye on us, as TJK often leaves with the salt shakers and returns them in odd places. She thinks JTH is responsible. At one point, JTH asked for a new glass after some shenanigans involving a knife maimed his. Marsha replied, “You either steal it or break it. I’d probably rather you steal it since you always bring it back in one piece.” We could not argue with that.

In MoFoS news, a new employee has been hired. His name is Justin. He is neither JBT’s girlfriend’s brother or JDM.

Also on Monday, Chancey & Reynolds Inc. fixed the heating unit in my room. The culprit was a faulty control box. My friends are quite pleased though I was relatively unaffected.

Finally, I got to meet HWW and LGW’s new granddaughter, Kathleen. They drove her by the house and we waved to her. She did not get out of the car as she has gotten everyone in her family, including her grandparents, sick. The child was cute but I am really hoping I do not catch the stomach virus.

No comments: