Monday, December 29, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 12/29/2008, Part 1

On Friday night, KJW and her parents KLTW and RAW visited my house. The purpose of the visit was two-fold. First, they returned my truck so that my cousin HANJ could borrow it. Second, it gave my mother the opportunity to deliver KJW her Christmas gift.

I love KJW very much but on this night, she was a stinker. She was uncharacteristically taciturn. She refused requests to sing Christmas songs (which she loves to do), but she did hum several as she has just discovered this skill. She also walked around sniffing a lot, mimicking a dog. At least she still looked cute in her pony tail.

DLNV painstakingly selected KJW’s gifts. She bought her a Mandala Mosaic Magnetic Art set. This item features nine shapes that can be made into geometrical designs on a magnetic board. DLNV also gave KJW a Curious George book and a matching plush doll. All of these betrayed DLNV’s status as a former teacher. KJW seemed to enjoy each of the items, but did not play with any of them for any great length of time. I felt awful for my mother as she wants a grandchild so badly she can taste it and KJW may be as close as she gets. I suspect KJW was just worn out from the holidays.

KJW did have a good Christmas. Her parents got her a doll house and her very first bed. Her parents are refurnishing her mother’s old bed. The finishing touches have yet to be added so KJW has yet to sleep in it. It is hard to believe her crib will soon be retired.

No comments: