Thursday, December 18, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 12/18/2008

I spent Wednesday night with JTH and ALK. We got an extremely late start. After work, JTH picked up ALK and then drove to his house to change clothes. If you know JTH, you realize how long this process took. We planned to go eat and naturally, Applebees was suggested. It was considered until ALK reminded us of the fiasco that we endured the last time we ate at Applebees on a Wednesday a.k.a. Kid’s Night. (See this post for details.) Since we have been complaining about it since said date, ALK did not want a repeat. Frankly, neither did we.

After briefly visiting with JTH’s mother, I drove us to O’Charley’s. I contemplated ordering the Chicken Parmesan Pasta until our waiter confessed that he hated it. I respected his honesty and went with a safe choice, the Club Sandwich. It was a good choice though I could have taken longer to make my decision. ALK took minutes to decide. This was my view for those many minutes. She eventually decided on the Classic Chicken Caesar Salad. I must also note that though ALK left more than half of her meal in the bowl, she requested extra bread. Bart, there are people starving out there!

Afterwards, we shopped at Target where ALK and I attempted to select another musical to torture JTH with. I became inexplicably tired so we decided to visit De La Rosa at Carmike Movies Seven and go to MoFoS after hours. De La Rosa actually referred to himself as De La Rosa during the conversation. This was awesome as this indicates that he is accepting the moniker we gave him.

After visiting with De La Rosa, we went to MoFoS as JTH had received a tip that a project that had taken him four hours to complete the night before had become undone. He had already decided the night before that this would be his last project at the store. He described his new work ethic as follows: “Movie 4 Sale: where the bare minimum is the maximum!” His work having been undone by the manager sent JTH further into a tizzy.

In updates on two terrible MoFoS purchases, thankfully JBT decided not to purchase the copies of Dolly Parton’s Smoky Mountain Christmas in bulk as had been previously planned. Unfortunately, the bulk VHS purchase made by CTH before his dismissal could not be rescinded. Not only are there hundreds of copies of the same movies (on VHS no less), but they are all damaged with post-it notes describing the specific defectiveness of each tape. You will note that this box is filled with tapes of *NSYNC. The only thing in more demand than *NSYNC is VHS tapes. I anticipate many experiments ahead for JTH and TK.

Speaking of which, the duo did perform another experiment with their two favorite items, a baseball bat and VHS tapes. TK hit an aisle of VHS tapes to see how many the bat could penetrate simultaneously. While the first one shattered, the second VHS tape was merely dented. I have contested their research. I contend that WAM can demolish more tapes with a single swing. With ease.

The big news on Wednesday was that I received an e-mail from JRH informing me that there had been a problem with my application to UT’s PhD program. Initially, I misinterpreted the e-mail and felt that I would have to complete the entire process again. Frankly, I panicked. I then learned that the faculty could not review my application until my status was officially changed from non-degree student to application seeking student. You may recall that I had to change the status to enroll in classes because the university was behind in reviewing my file in the first place. So I was instructed to contact the Office of Graduate and International Admissions to change this status that affected nothing in the file. Now, you might think that I would simply call and say change this one word. No. This is UT. I had to fill out a Change of Program form, drive it to campus, and hand deliver it to Denise Sears. Theoretically, the Educational Psychology & Counseling Department staff can now look at my file. Keep this ongoing process in your prayers.

Finally, my dad has dropped his Facebook account. He was annoyed by the useless status updates. More annoying to him was that he kept getting friend requests. Yes, my dad dropped Facebook because he had too many friend requests. That's my Dad.

No comments: