Wednesday, December 17, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 12/17/2008

On Tuesday night, I attended a gathering at RAW’s house. We talked, ate pizza, and watched the Tennessee basketball game. In attendance were WAM, KLTW, KJW, MPW, RAW and RAW’s father ROW.

The night began at Food City where KLTW and KJW were getting snacks for the gathering. KJW was wearing her bathrobe and slippers at the grocery store. The Hugh Hefner look works for KJW.

After arriving at RAW’s house. RAW’s family took its annual Christmas photo in front of their tree. RAW got dressed from the waist up and KJW got into her Christmas dress. This is one of the problems with being so small: she cannot be shot from just the waist up. There would be three wardrobe changes on this night, five if you count the two diaper changes. At one point the kid sold me out. Un-prodded, she requested, “I want Chan to change my diaper.” I have trained her better than that!

I picked up our meal from Pizza Hut. In this photo you will notice that WAM is eating off of a platter as opposed to the festive plates the rest of is used! KLTW was pleased as the platter seldom gets used. KJW was required to eat a vegetable medley before sampling the pizza. This led WAM to ask, “Speaking of carrots, have you ever known anyone whose skin tone has changed?”

WAM also educated me on the internet practice of Rickrolling. Rickrolling is an internet prank which gets unsuspecting viewers for the music video of Rick Astley's 1987 song “Never Gonna Give You Up”. For further insight from WAM, check out the WAM Quote of the Day.

After much socializing, we watched the Vols play on ESPN. They scored an impressive 80-68 win over nationally ranked Marquette as part of the SEC/Big East Invitational. The game was played in Nashville. Despite hometown Vanderbilt playing in the opening game, Tennessee fans dominated the stands.

It was good to watch the game with MPW. We had not gotten to watch the past several games together. We also got some interesting commentary from the crew who do not usually watch the games. Near the game’s conclusion, WAM noted, “The French (Marquette) are starting to foul more.”

KLTW was focused on Wayne Chism, and not just because he played phenomenally (26 points and 11 rebounds). She could not comprehend how his headband stayed on his head. We noted that it seldom does stay on his head. Perhaps the durability of the headband accounted for his monster night... Other KLTW comments included noting how pretty Tennessee uniforms always look and how Marquette was not hustling because they rolled the ball down the court towards the conclusion of the contest. (Yes, we corrected her.)

In an equally irrelevant observation, Steven Pearl checked into the game with 4:08 left in the first half but did not attempt to take a charge.

The most significant event of the night occurred during halftime. KJW beckoned her mother repeatedly despite the fact that she was supposed to be asleep. It was well past her bedtime and for the first time ever I was given the task of coaxing KJW back to sleep. I had been trusted with little, performed well, and now my responsibilities had increased. (See Matthew 25:21) To call this new responsibility abject failure would be kind.

I walked into her room and she immediately stopped crying and gave me a huge grin. I let myself believe that she was thrilled to see me. KJW was smiling the smile of a con man who has stumbled upon an easy mark. I walked her around the room and when I returned her to her crib the crying began. I did what any grown man would do - I got her mommy. As KLTW summarized, “She sensed weakness in you.” As her mother had her, I asked, “Do you think your Uncle Chan was a pushover tonight?” Without hesitation, the child replied, “Yeah.”

Her daddy eventually got her back in bed.

No comments: