Tuesday, December 16, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 12/16/2008

On Monday night, I mooched another plate of pasta off of the Walker family at RAW’s house. Given the choice, KJW selected the rainbow rigatoni over the bow tie rigatoni. I am fairly certain her decision was based upon the fact that this option was presented last.

While dinner was being prepared, KJW and I played. We began with her favorite game, taking each other’s food orders. She wanted me to order hot dogs and French fries. After I took her suggestion, she realized that she had misplaced the items. When I did not receive my order, I asked her where my food was. She responded, “I put them...I cannot say...” It was priceless. She is so small she looks younger than she is but she speaks like someone much older. Later, after I declined a side dish of broccoli, she prodded me by giving me the food and saying, “yeah, it’s good.”

After countless turns at this game, we played basketball, hide and seek, and (at her suggestion) she “cleaned” her room with her toy vacuum cleaner. Cooking. Cleaning. I do my best to reenforce dated misogynist stereotypes whenever possible. (Note: I neither taught her nor suggested either game.)

Hide and seek is a new game for KJW. The only problem with this game is her strategy. With the entire house at her disposal she hides in the same place every time: under the crib. Eventually, I caught on...

Supper was great as always. My favorite story from the day naturally involved KJW. While at McDonald’s she got into a confrontation with another child. She responded by yelling, “Boy, don’t touch me! Get away from me!” Her daddy and I are hoping that this trend persists.

After supper, we all watched the majority of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on ABC Family. RAW and I had never seen the movie in its entirety. Come to think of it, we still haven’t. We all enjoyed the movie though KJW was worried the remainder of the night that her nose had turned blue.

No comments: