Monday, December 1, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 12/1/2008, Part 4

On Sunday morning, the rain continued in Knoxville while I worshiped at St. Mark United Methodist Church. It was the during the first Sunday of Advent. This was far better than last year’s first Sunday of Advent. In 2007, I preached a sermon at Fifth Avenue Baptist Church while in the process of passing a kidney stone. Sadly, that was not the worst sermon I have ever preached.

On this morning, JTH was to pick me up for the 11 am service where we would be watching his girlfriend ALK play handbells with the St. Mark Ringers. (Their name is not nearly as creative as her other group, The Rings of the Lord.) When JTH hadn’t arrived by 10:49, I called him. It was a good thing I did as the sound of the phone woke him up. I headed to the church without him. Amazingly, he made it in time to hear ALK play the offertory.

ALK started the service with eleven rings of the chime. She was told she would be doing this seconds before the service began. During the service, the group played “How Beautiful” and “Adagio”. I love the first song though I had never heard it apart from a wedding. ALK wore two sets of gloves to protect her from the very heavy bells. I think that is what she was going for in this photo.

JTH’s OCD got the best of him and he cleaned the pew throughout the service. It still did not distract me from a fantastic sermon by David Graybeal (DWG). DWG preached an advent sermon based on Isaiah 64:1-9. It was as theologically sound and culturally relevant as a sermon can be. I enjoyed meeting the Candler graduate after the service.

I also got to meet ALK’s family after the service. Her mother, Sharon, played handbells with her. The King girls anchored the group as Sharon was on one end and ALK the other. I also got to meet Sharon’s twin sister Karen and her family. Since their names sound like sharing and caring, I have decided to call Karen’s husband “Giving”. I would like it noted for posterity that her mother said “sucks” shortly after I met her. Not surprisingly, I liked her. (Note: Yes, I took a photo during the service.)


I may be back at the church on Saturday, December 6th, as I learned that Santa will be reading the children a Bible story. I am not certain we could get away with that in a Baptist Church. In addition to being able to take KJW, they are serving a pancake breakfast. The pancake breakfast is one of the greatest contributions the church has made to society and as such, I always feel compelled to support them.

No comments: