Friday, November 28, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 11/28/2008

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. Mine was spent in West Knoxville with my paternal family at the home of my uncle JHV and aunt LAMV. My increasingly shrinking maternal family opted to spend the day in Pigeon Forge.

The day started on an ominous note. My mother had prepared several side dishes to take to the gathering. As my father was transporting them to the car, my mother’s bacon wrapped green beans spilled juice all over him. He had to change clothes. On this happy note, we set out for a day with the family. (I must note that this dish did get rave reviews from the family.)

We met the family at 12:30. The Tennessee basketball game in Orlando tipped off at noon. Who scheduled lunch at the same time as a UT basketball game? We were able to watch most of the game on ESPN2. The fact that we had such an interesting diversion was one of the things I was most thankful for on this day. Plus, we won, beating a quality Sienna team 78-64. The other sporting event we watched was the Titans-Lions football game. The team with the best record in the NFL (Tennessee) trounced the team with the worst, 47-10.

Oh, lest I forget, we also ate and fellowshipped as a family. We had nineteen people in attendance. In addition to the family, my cousin’s dear friend JS was there. I should not count him separately as he is family.

We also had an international flavor to the festivities. My aunt and uncle frequently go on mission trips to China and four Chinese were present to celebrate with us. A couple, Yao and Nancy, brought their baby Ryan and Yao’s mother Shulan. Yao maybe related to Yao Ming as the baby weighed over ten pounds when he was born fifty days ago! My uncle conversed with them in Chinese. I was impressed.

The guests brought Chinese dumplings (aka pot stickers) to the affair. LAMV tried to make them feel at home by preparing rice, Chinese desserts, etc. Chopsticks were at each place setting. My mother’s experimentation with them would supply some entertainment though I do not believe that was their primary purpose. My aunt also served hot water as a beverage. Evidently iced tea seems just as crazy to the Chinese as drinking hot water seems to me.

Though we had more food than ever before, my aunt MCDV’s dressing was the highlight as always. To me, Thanksgiving is all about the dressing. I would get the recipe but there is none, not that I could replicate the dish anyway. My aunt provided me my own pan to take home. I love my aunt!

I thought it would be slightly odd that I no longer eat desserts or sodas, save for Sundays. My cousin is now a vegetarian so my new lifestyle went unnoticed. Another thing to be thankful for...

My cousin’s 2½ year old son Weston slept through the majority of the event. When he awoke, my mother gave him his Christmas present, as has become the custom. Weston now has a mullet. I reluctantly informed the family of Kidz Fun Cutz where KJW received her first haircut. The younger demographic in attendance all concurred that he should definitely keep the mullet.

Now for the most important detail in all Vinson family events, my father was the first to fall asleep. My cousin JEV had placed his bet on my uncle ECD while I had gone with the traditional favorite of my grandfather, WCV Jr. The dark horse candidate won. My father was highly offended as his slumber lasted only a few seconds. I am sorry, Dad, but this counts. JEV could not have accounted for my uncle having two new toys: a laptop and a cell phone. I have no explanation for how my grandfather outlasted my dad. That is why the games aren’t played on paper...

No comments: