Tuesday, November 25, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 11/25/2008

I spent Monday night where I have spent countless nights in my life, in a gymnasium watching basketball. On this night, I was at Bearden High School where I watched the Bearden girls’ team defeat the Powell High School Lady Panthers, 49-34. I was there to watch MST, an old friend play for the Lady Bulldogs. Admission was $5. Can you say "Inflation"?

The Bearden High School gym has undergone renovations since I was there for this summer’s Rocky Top Basketball League. There were some remarkable improvements: 1. The bleachers were new and there was actually room to move. 2. There was no sweltering heat. 3. Best of all, there was no BT on the public address system.

Making up for BT’s absence was the fact I sat directly in front of the loudest fan in the gym. The most annoying fan will invariably sit directly behind me. I think it is karma. I was that fan in high school. I left the gym with a headache. I am not sure if it was from the atmosphere or the fact that I had not eaten all day.

MST plays behind senior Rikki Sanders, an All-KIL selection and a college prospect who is seldom on the bench. When MST played, she played well. She checked into the game with 5:58 remaining in the second quarter and stayed until 3:30 was left in the half. BHS was winning 17-16 when she entered and had extended the lead to 19-16 when she checked out. Yes, they shut out the opponent when MST was in the game.

My high school coach CDL was also in the gym. His 14-year old daughter Canaan plays for Powell’s junor varsity team. I was around when she was born. I am so old.

On a more positive note, two players on the Bearden boys team wore box top haircuts. I now have more hope for the future of America.

No comments: