Wednesday, November 19, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 11/19/2008

On Tuesday morning, I drove through snow flurries to work a brief shift at the Hope Resource Center. There was no medical staff on duty on this day which all but eliminated the possibilities for male clients and as such, my usefulness. I will now be on-call on Tuesdays. I did attend the morning prayer session and was pleased that my clockwise prayer rotation policy had been adopted. I felt standardization was needed as I was always confused as to when to voice my prayer. I now feel I have made a positive impact on the organization.

On Tuesday night, KL, MPW and I watched the Tennessee basketball team rout UT Martin 91-64 at Thompson-Boling Arena. We were running late and the game had been decided by the time we arrived. We walked in the arena with the score 16-4 with 15:42 remaining in the first half. By the time we sat down the score was 27-6 with 13:41 left before halftime. This should give you some indication of how quickly the Vols had the game in hand and just how high we sit in the stands.

Speaking of which, we moved down at halftime and sat in the lower level near midcourt. We learned that there are some seats in the stadium where players’ faces are visible. This is perhaps most evident as you can actually make out people in this shot from our seats.

JTH still had better seats than us, attending his first game in some time with RWW. ALK counted three times that he was visible on camera as she watched the television broadcast.

My thoughts on the game will be posted under “View from 315A”.

After the game, KL, MPW, and I met KL’s friends Josh and David (fellow Best Buy employees) at Applebees. We were later joined by TK, his girlfriend EA (aka “Sarah”), JTH and ALK. Until the party next to us moved we had nine people crammed around a hightop table. Thankfully they moved before the food arrived. Since KL’s friends selected the table, we did not have AFH as our waitress. I felt bad that we offended her but I suspect she might have repaid us.

It was unbelievably hot in the restaurant. How hot? ALK removed one of her many layers of clothing at 10:44 pm citing the heat. We documented this moment as it was so rare. ALK being warm is like me admitting to being cold. I wondered aloud if AFH had cranked the temperature. I do not really think she did but it would have been cool if she had.

ALK remained without her top layer for exactly eleven minutes. JTH had predicted five.

No comments: