Thursday, October 9, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 10/9/2008

The weather in Knoxville was dreary on Wednesday. It sprinkled, poured, or was just plain gloomy throughout the day.

My day began with an early morning Bible Study. We decided to meet on Wednesday as it was the only time we could meet with MLM before he embarks on another mission trip to the gulf coast. We discussed Romans 5:6-19, which I will be teaching in the young married Sunday School class on Sunday (October 12th).

On Wednesday night, my class at UT met as scheduled. The campus was completely dead and my class was as sparse as the campus. We had only five stay the entire class. Unfortunately one of my classmates, Pat, dropped the course as her husband’s health is failing. Please keep her in your prayers.

We had a guest speaker, David Bush. Bush has his master’s in adult education from the university and presently educates prisoners in conjunction with the sheriff’s department. He debriefed us on his program and then asked for volunteers. (I guess he thought the UT campus was a good place to find Vols. Get it? Sorry...) You would be surprised how few people wish to educate criminals. Or maybe you wouldn’t. If you would be interested in volunteering, let me know and I can put you into contact with Dave.

After class, I walked to Thompson-Boling Arena. I joined JTH, ALK, PCR and Amber to watch a volleyball game. The Lady Vols defeated Louisville 25-17, 25-18, 23-25, 25-23. I caught the last two sets. With their win on Friday, Coach Rob Patrick now has more wins than any volleyball coach in school history.

I must note that yet again, the Lady Vols publicity team did a version of Deal or No Deal in which thy did not show what the contestant would have one had they selected the other item. Why?

After volleyball, the five of us, ate at the Silver Spoon Café. Amber told the following joke, which amused JTH to no end: What do you call a cow with no legs? Ground beef.

No comments: