Tuesday, October 28, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 10/28/2008, Part 1

On Monday, JTH and I shuffled throughout the day between North Myrtle Beach, where we are staying, and Myrtle Beach. After going from city to city all day, I can assure you that there is a valid reason the two are considered separate entities.

We got a late start, but met PCR and AND and PCR’s parents at the House of Blues in Barefoot Landing to decide where to eat lunch. Barefoot Landing was a good meeting place as PCR and AND were staying in Myrtle Beach while PCR’s parents were staying near us in North Myrtle Beach. After much discussion (read: understatement) on the matter, it was decided that we would be making our first excursion of the day into Myrtle Beach.

We met at Broadway at the Beach to eat at Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville. As its name suggests, the cafĂ© is a massive eatery with an “island escapism” theme based upon Buffett’s songs. Before entering I did check out the nearby Foxworthy Store. I investigated to see if there was an entire store devoted to Jeff Foxworthy. It was not, though I suspect he and his fans would shop there. I think it is safe to say that you might be a redneck if you like the Foxworthy Store.

Back inside the restaurant, we had a delightful waitress named Patrycja. She immigrated from Poland and though she has lived here longer than there, she still has the accent. Naturally, I got her to say, “G Unit!” Though she did not understand why, she accommodated me. The power of wanting a tip…

I enjoyed the meal and spending time with PCR’s family. I felt obligated to order the Cheeseburger in Paradise – with no cheese. Neither my mother nor I like cheeseburgers. We think it goes back to our Jewish roots. (That is actually true but that is another story for another day.) While eating, in conjunction with a video of a Buffett song this massive storm in the ceiling made an equally sizeable margarita in front of us. I am told by PCR, who is practically a Myrtle Beach resident, that the effect is greater at night.

After lunch we all posed for photos for PCR’s mom. PCR’s mom is really sweet, paid for the meal and was suffering from the flu, so we humored her. After this impromptu photo session the group went its separate ways, We would reunite later in the day for PCR's wedding. In the meantime, JTH and I shopped in Myrtle Beach. Fortunately, JTH is one of the few men who enjoys shopping as much as I do.

We visited the Myrtle Beach Mall and several of the countless novelty/souvenir stores like this Bargain Beachware shop . My impression of Myrtle Beach is that it may rival Pigeon Forge for title of redneck heaven. If you are interested in pancakes, swords, or personalized merchandise, this is the vacation spot for you. My two favorite store names: 4:20 and Tar Baby's Pancakes.

The plan eventually had PCR calling us twenty minutes before he needed us on the beach for the wedding. Yes, you read that correctly. There was no set time or place for these nuptials. So what was the minister doing before the wedding? Buying a glow in the dark condom for one of his parishioners (KLTW’s birthday was the following day) and listening to the Geto Boys’ song “Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta” on repeat.

No comments: