Friday, October 24, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 10/24/2008

My Thursday was spent predominantly at the church.

In the morning, my Bible Study met. MLM was nearly two hours late and even in MST (Moreland Standard Time) that is considered tardy. We knew he had an appointment with a neurologist concerning muscle fatigue and we were concerned. Fortunately, he received a relatively positive report. In the mean time, discussion centered around faith, politics, and professional wrestling. In other words, it was a typical study.

On Thursday night, my church league basketball team advanced to the league's championship game after having won only one game during the regular season. Dare I say that we are a "Cinderella Story"?

My pre-game speech centered around PCR’s wedding, slated for Monday, October 27th. I informed the team that we would spoil his honeymoon with a loss. It seemed to work as, after playing even during the first half (19-19), we were able to hold on to a late lead and win 46-39. MDR’s team had beaten us in our two previous meetings. I gave AND the player of the game award since it was her wedding we were saving. Not surprisingly, the next devotional will center on Kobe Bryant.

My devotional on this night was on Muggsy Bogues, at MPW’s request. At 5'3" Bogues was the shortest player to ever suit up in an NBA game. He later coached the now defunct Charlotte Sting of the WNBA and was still shorter than every player on his team. He viewed this as a strength. In his autobiography (In the Land of Giants: My Life in Basketball), he wrote, “The ball's on the floor more than it's in the air. And down there is Muggsyland. That's where I rule. Put the ball on the floor, and you gotta watch out for the little fella." I challenged the group to find ways to glorify God in their perceived weaknesses. (II Corinthians 12:9)

After the game, I ate with AND, JTH, ALK, and PCR. Surprisingly, we did not eat at Applebees, though some of my team did. Instead, we ate at TGI Friday’s. We debriefed on wedding plans for Monday. PCR and AND will be married in Myrtle Beach. I will be officiating while JTH will be the photographer. The planning did not take long as this is one of the most laid back weddings I have ever participated in. That is saying something too.

With the free time, AND shared another of her classic jokes: What do you call a cow in Antartica? Es-cow-mo. I would be lying if I did not admit that is my type of joke. Her husband’s embarrassment made it all the funnier.

No comments: