Wednesday, October 22, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 10/22/2008

I spent the first half of the day at the Hope Resource Center. I arrived at 8:45 am for the early morning prayer and did not get home until mid-afternoon. At one point we had four clients simultaneously, which LEB presumes to be a record.

I am slowy catching on to the jargon of the job. For instance, “super pregnant” seems to correlate to how pregnant one is in relation to how pregnant she thought was when she came. I also learned that “I had a really good STD today” simply means that the counseling session was enjoyable and not that the sexually transmitted disease was pleasurable. That explained a lot.

On Tuesday night, Dad and I ate at Calhoun’s. My mother was having a girl’s night out with some friends from church. They went to see the Secret life of Bees. Dad and I had a good conversation. I must note that you know a Tennessee football season is not going well when we are relegated to discussing politics.

After a very brief stop at MoFoS, I spent the evening with KLTW, KJW and RAW at their home. KLTW recently cut KJW’s hair. It looks good. KJW has been habitually sticking her tongue out of late. RAW and I naturally assume it is in homage to Michael Jordan. Well, we are hoping anyway.

In other KJW news, she will do just about any act that is preceded by the words “If you’re happy and you know it...” I use this line to get hugs frequently. Is that wrong? I wish eliciting affection from grown up girls was that easy. I don’t have to ask. That was wrong.

In other stories of us taking advantage of the toddler, we have also learned that KJW will respond affirmatively to any “do you love _____” question. On this night the child confirmed that she does indeed love flux capacitors. Who doesn’t?

KJW is still not close to potty training. KLTW now has told her that she will receive a Dora The Explorer toy once she has successfully gone to the potty. The toy was originally purchased to be a Christmas present but now will be given whichever comes first - Christmas or potty training. KJW has seen the toy, remembers it, and wants it. Still, as I was leaving, there was another dirty diaper to be changed.

Though we have not successfully potty trained the child, we have taught her to say “respect authority” a la Cartman from South Park. I'd say it is a fair trade off.

No comments: