Thursday, October 2, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 10/2/2008

How many consecutive Wednesdays can there be perfect weather in Knoxville while I am sequestered indoors? It is uncanny.

On Wednesday morning, I worked at the Hope Resource Center (HRC). The organization has moved our Wednesday sessions from afternoons to mornings to better accommodate nurses. MLM and I had three appointments scheduled. I participated in the 9:45 am and 10:15 am appointments while BL handled the last one at 11:45 am. For the first time since I have worked there, all of my appointments showed up. I was beginning to get worried that it was me. (Note: These staff pictures are of AH and BL. AH drew BL so that he would not feel left out.)

I made another foolish mistake. (Yes, again.) I acknowledged that I was hoping for a challenging session as all of my clients have been very likable. My first appointment showed up admittedly hung over from a fraternity party. Though I still liked the guy a lot, the conversation was more awkward than usual, and you must remember that all of these conversations involve people’s sex lives. I am such an idiot.

This appointment was also significant due to the contrasting styles displayed between the team of MLM and I and the nurse, Tina Jackson (TJ). MLM and I were kind to the guy. TJ let him have it for engaging in such a high risk life style. Honestly, she was probably more helpful to the guy than I was. Instilling the fear of God just is not in my arsenal. In the proverbial good cop, bap cop routine, I stink at being the bad cop. (Note: This is one of the many educational cards that can be found at the HRC. Read it and have the fear of God instilled in you!)

I got to hang with the HRC crew a lot. I will be working at the main center soon and will really miss these guys. I had a political conversation with BLB, who is leading the local McCain campaign. She believes that McCain will better represent the Christian values upon which the country was founded. (This is where my liberal education had me internally screaming, "John Locke!") I was advised not to be a "Kool-Aid" republican, democrat, etc. Though I am not entirely certain of its meaning, I like the expression.

BL works at Cedar Springs Christian Stores and they have already received a shipment of Christmas merchandise. This includes a snowman made from scrap metal that sells for $150. What would compel someone to buy such an item?

I always feel guilty acknowledging how much I enjoy working at HRC.

Wednesday night was spent in class at UT as usual. We spent the class discussing Eduard C. Lindeman (1885-1954) and his book The Meaning of Adult Education, which was part of our weekly reading. We were asked to select a favorite quote. Mine was:

“Somehow we must learn to cleanse the dreams of old men so that the visions seen by young men will not turn into bitterness.” (Lindeman, page 29)

This quote uses the language of Joel 2:28 (which Peter cites in the first Christian speech in Acts 2:17). It also conveys how I feel about the wars in my denomination.

After class I picked up dinner at Subway and visited RAW. There was a customer ahead of me at Subway which gave me time to contemplate my selection. I decided to try the 6" version of one of their signature sandwiches “The Feast.” The only employee working admitted, “I don’t even know what’s on a damn Feast.” It was awesome. Thankfully, said employee did know how to make a Philly cheese steak sandwich.

RAW and KJW were well. KJW has begun using personal pronouns. Hopefully, she will quit speaking of herself in the third person soon. RAW has entertained KJW by teaching her the entire vocabulary of Lil John. Yes, all three expressions ("Yeah!", "Okay!" "What?") She laughs profusely at all of this. We both think it is amusing that the two-year old finds Lil John ridiculous.

No comments: