Friday, October 17, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 10/17/2008

I had a great Thursday, spending most of the day with JTH.

JTH and I ate lunch with CMU. We met at the church and I drove from there. CMU made oatmeal cookies for JTH and myself. He is quite the cook and brought them in Ziploc bags. I noted that I would call mine a dime bag and both LBC and ALC, who work at the church, noted that I had far more than a dime bag’s worth. I was glad I did not know that. I was also not surprised that they did...

We at the Food Court in West Town Mall. Both CMU and I ate at the Cajun Café. It perplexed us both as to why the restaurant is titled “Cajun” when it serves predominantly Asian cuisine. You even get fortune cookies with your meal. Our only guess was that the Cajun name differentiates it from Sakkio Japan or Asian Chao, situated in the same vicinity. JTH suggested that they just drop the C and make it “Ajun” Café. I am sure they would take that under advisement. My fortune you ask?

“Tomorrow your creative side will shine forth with exceptional ideas.”

Inspiration struck over lunch. (Perhaps my fortune was a day early.) JTH and I decided to record a Christmas album using the church’s broadcast booth as the studio. We will let twelve loved ones pick their favorite Christmas carols and we will sing versions of them under the name “Tone Deaf and Monotone”.

On Thursday night, JTH and I went to Pigeon Forge with ALK. I got deep into conversation and missed the I-640 exit (forgetting that I-40 is closed) and cost us quite a deal of time. We did make it to Pigeon Forge in plenty of time to eat and shop.

The trip began where all of my trips to Pigeon Forge begin - at the Christian Book Warehouse. While I shopped, JTH and ALK made a mess trying to spread out this Bible Atlas. They did not realize that this one was already on display.

We went to another branch of the book store while we waited for seating at the Apple Barn restaurant. I could not believe that there was a forty-five minute wait on a random Thursday night in the fall. The food does justify the wait. We ate there in celebration of ALK’s recent birthday.

After dinner, we went to Wal-Mart on our way home. ALK had been building up the book Twilight by Stephenie Meyer all night. A movie based on the book is set to open on November 21st. Somehow, she convinced me to read the book beforehand. As most of you know, I seldom read fiction much less fiction geared towards teen girls. We stopped by Wal-Mart to pick up the book and this may be the only branch that does not carry it. JTH and ALK both found books that they were interested in. I tried to subtly catch the moment of the two reading side by side. Subtlety was never my strong suit...

No comments: