Wednesday, October 15, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 10/15/2008

Tuesday was a day of firsts as I began working at the main branch of the Hope Resource Center and began taking shots at the Allergy, Asthma & Sinus Center.

After weeks of training on campus, I began working at the Hope Resource Center’s main offices. I worked the 8:45 am - 1 pm shift. There were no appointments on this day which gave me time to complete more training (on quite possibly the slowest working computer on the planet) and get to know the staff. This vehicle is owned by staff member Jodi Nakamura (JLN). I decided to document it as I like the name (Dorcas) on the personal license plate (see Acts 9:36-43) and the political sticker is also typical of the staff. I am accustomed to being the most liberal person in the room politically, but being the most liberal religiously is a new experience.

I enjoyed the group immensely. We discussed cases of bestiality, partial birth abortion, etc. which is not that uncommon in this field. We also talked football a lot. Unfortunately we got LEB to break her fast of talking about Tennessee football. Kelly Harb (KWH), one of my fellow counselors, knew a great deal about football as her son Richard Harb was recruited by Tennessee offensive coordinator Dave Clawson when he was coaching at Richmond. Harb originally signed with Western Carolina and is now the starting quarterback at North Greeneville University after transferring.

After my shift, I received my first shot treatments at the Allergy, Asthma, & Sinus Center. I was admitted into Exam Room 1 where a nurse named Tonae (spelling?) administered a shot so flawlessly that I did not even feel it. I then waited for twenty minutes to see if there would be any allergic reaction.The only scary aspect was that I was given a prescription for an EpiPen. I am to inject myself in the leg with epinephrine should I experience a severe allergic reaction. Thankfully, there was none on this day.

I was supplied a card with which to swipe so that I can obtain additional shots relatively easily. I will be returning to the Shotroom three times a week as this will get faster results than the originally planned two. This is contingent upon my body being able to withstand the shots.

On Tuesday night, I ate with my parents Aubrey’s. They had just returned safely from their retreat at The Homestead. Dining alone at the restaurant was Mary Costa, a friend of the family who voiced Princess Aurora in the 1959 Disney film Sleeping Beauty. (The 2-disc Platinum edition was released on DVD on October 7th.) DLNV spent much of the meal contemplating whether or not or not she should have invited her to dine with us.

My night ended with a brief stop at MoFoS. We learned that “De La Rosa” is 36-year old Knoxvillian Mark Ian Navarro (MIN). There is no doubt that we will still be calling him “De La Rosa” indefinitely.

No comments: