Monday, October 13, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 10/13/2008, Part 1

On Friday, I got to see KJW both in the morning and at night! RAW needed a ride to work and for me to drop KJW off at her aunt PWC’s home as his father had taken the car they had been using on a trip to Washington, DC. As you may guess from this photo, KJW was not fully awake when I picked her up. In her defense, neither was I.

On Friday night, I dropped by MoFoS. Not only did I get to see some friends but I got this great picture of the legendary De La Rosa. For the record, he is almost always this close to the counter.

I then spent Friday night with RAW and KJW. I delivered food from Sonic and we watched House on television, as we often do. KJW enjoyed her meal. She told me, “That made my tummy feel better.” She did get a little jealous that the television was diverting our attention from her (where it obviously should have been), so she dragged a massive chair in front of the television, sat in it, and exclaimed, “Surprise! Happy birthday!”

As an aside, during the program, their was an advertisement for an alltel phone. Neither I nor RAW (nor presumably KJW) has ever know anyone who owned one. Have you?



On Saturday morning, I ate at IHOP with my parents. (This is a rare blog photo of them.) They were to be traveling to Lexington, Virginia, later in the day on the first leg of a vacation to The Homestead. Lexington has a great deal of Civil War history including the Stonewall Jackson House (1824-1863 whom my mother is related to, at least according to my grandmother) and the grave of Robert E. Lee (1807-1870, for whom my mother is named as they share the same birth date.). After sharing these Civil War connections, I feel compelled to note that it was my grandfather, a native New Yorker, who was the Civl War buff in the family and not his southern wife.

Dad’s travel plans meant that I would not get to watch the Tennessee football game with him. He did not miss as much as the Vols lost again, to Georgia, 26-14. The Vols are now 0-3 in the SEC for the first time in twenty years.

On Saturday night, I ate with JTH and ALK. I was given the privilege of choosing the restaurant and I selected Big Ed’s Pizza in Oak Ridge. The drive there seemed to take an eternity for some reason but I think the pizza was worth it. We had a good night though the drive must have worn ALK out as she fell asleep on the way home. Then again, I sometimes have that effect on women...

No comments: