Thursday, October 2, 2008

Bible Trivia - 10/2/2008

Question: What was the name of King Ahab’s father and wicked predecessor?

Answer: Omri. (I Kings 16:28)

Comments: Omri became the sixth king of the northern kingdom of Israel when he overthrew Zimri. He was a political success with the building the capital city of Samaria among his accomplishments (I Kings 16:24). Despite his exploits, Omri represented a spiritual setback for the nation. The writer of Kings summarizes, "Omri did evil in the sight of the LORD, and acted more wickedly than all who were before him."(I Kings 16:25, NASB)

So Omri slept with his fathers and was buried in Samaria; and Ahab his son became king in his place. (I Kings 16:28, NASB)

Omri's son Ahab succeeded him and proved more evil than his father. (I Kings 16:30) Ahab is perhaps best remembered as the husband of the notorious Jezebel.

Note: This woodcut of "Omri's Coup" was engraved by Matthäus Merian (1593-1650).

No comments: