Monday, October 13, 2008

Bible Trivia - 10/13/2008

Question: Complete the following “Whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her, hath...”

Answer: “committed adultery with her already in his heart.” (Matthew 5:28)

Comments: In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus redefines "adultery". The line preceding this Scripture reads, "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery'". Jesus is quoting the first reference to the word "adultery" in Scripture, the seventh commandment (Exodus 20:14). Jesus acknowledges that the act of adultery is preceded by adulterous thoughts and in doing so, he raises the moral standard for his followers.

but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. (Matthew 5:28, NASB)

President Jimmy Carter faced criticism for these beliefs in an interview that appeared in the November 1976 issue of Playboy. Carter confessed, "Because I'm just human and I'm tempted and Christ set some almost impossible standards for us. The Bible says, "Thou shalt not commit adultery." Christ said, I tell you that anyone who looks on a woman with lust has in his heart already committed adultery. I've looked on a lot of women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times."

No comments: