Monday, September 8, 2008

In Eckleburg's Eyes - 9/8/2008

My weekend was spent preparing for upcoming sermons and classes and watching sporting events with my friends.

I took a brief break from studying on Friday night to eat with my parents. We had a meal at the house which to the uniniated means we ordered Steak-Out. They were to set off on a trip the following night. The first night’s stay was actually at the Airport Hilton in Knoxville as one night’s stay entitles the guest to indefinite free parking at the hotel. Why I did not drop them off the following morning, I do not know. I do know I am grateful for not having to.

Their trip is to an Elderhostel in Newport, Rhode Island. Elderhostel is the world's largest not-for-profit educational travel organization for adults and not a hostel for old people as I previously imagined. Their trip runs from September 7th to the 15th, meaning my parents will miss two sermons and I will not see my father on his birthday. Keep their travels in your prayers.

On Friday night, I also briefly visited with JTH at MoFoS. Eventually, we were joined by JB and JBT. The topic of conversation on this night was an article slandering JB appearing on MySpace. I consoled him. By that I mean I teased him profusely.



Saturday was spent largely in study as well but I did get to watch the second half of Florida’s 26-3 win over Miami at RAW’s home. RAW and I arrived at about the same time as he tends to work late on Saturdays. It was good night of bonding. The game was a night game and since it was already the second half, KJW was already pooped out when I got there.



On Sunday morning, Sunday School convened at MPW’s apartment. I taught on Exodus 14:19-31, the parting of the Red Sea. I will preach the passage on September 14th. This passage is far more difficult than the children’s version I learned in Sunday School as a child. For a typical WAM insight, check out the WAM Quote of the Day. (Note: KLTW had this expression on her face throughout the entire lesson. It was one of those days.)

I spent Sunday night watching the WWE pay-per-view presentation Unforgiven with SMA and WRK Well, SMA and I watched the show anyway. WRK read magazines. I was distracted too. I had purchased a Tennessee Volunteers Trivia Challenge Book. Sadly, I answered only 118 of 200 questions correctly. (59%)

Some notes from the evening’s profound conversation with SMA (I apologize as the later references are only significant to wrestling fans):

  • We spent a good deal of time discussing what the television show Two And A Half Men will be called when Angus T. Jones matures. I suggested Three Men and No Baby. SMA said he could have a baby and it would be Three and a Half Men. Amazingly, neither of us watch the show.
  • CEH added Kenny G as a friend on MySpace earlier in the day. Insert your own joke.
  • MJB was in town earlier in the day and informed SMA of the plans for a PWF reunion show. PWF was the local wrestling outfit for which MJB refereed under the handle “Squeaky Herman”. MJB questioned the decision. No one came to the shows originally so why would they attend a reunion program? SMA and I will be there anyway.
  • A new wrestler debuted at the pay-per-view named Manu. You know you watch too much wrestling when you look at someone and say he “looks Samoan”. We were correct.
  • We are pretty sure The Undertaker was a big fan of The Dark Knight film as he seems to have adopted Christian Bale’s superhero voice. This is not a good thing.
  • The Undertaker and Big Show were on camera during the same time dispelling theories that they are the same individual. Sorry. That was completely ridiculous and you had to be there.
  • Shawn Michaels should have capes coming out of his boot when he kicks the “superkick.” Just an idea.
  • We discussed the possibility of Sapphire coming back from the dead and somehow making her ashes dance.
  • We discussed wrestling cliches. We developed a gimmick for a heel to burn a farmer wrestler’s barn down to incorporate the expression “barn burner”. Also, we established that for someone to be referred to as a “house of fire” punching must be involved.

As you can tell, we accomplished a great deal on this night. We had felt guilty about not watching Peyton Manning’s season debut but since Chris Jericho won the world championship on the wrestling show and Peyton’s Colts were defeated soundly by the Chicago Bears, 29-13, we determined that we chose wisely.

No comments: